One Big Texture Vs Multiple Small Textures

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/One Big Texture Vs Multiple Small Textures

KuRiX(Posted 2005) [#1]
What is the real advantage of using for example one 512x512 texture and then unwrapping the uv coordinates versus using several 64x64 textures?

Speed? Easy of change?

Thanks in advance.

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#2]
Less textures = Less surfaces = More speed.

KuRiX(Posted 2005) [#3]
But when using different small textures for different objects? then the surfaces are different anyway?

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#4]
Only if you don't/can't combine them.

jhocking(Posted 2005) [#5]
Within a single object you want to use as few textures as possible, ideally just one. For multiple objects (not combined; they are separate entities) a separate texture for each is better due to culling/swapping.

KuRiX(Posted 2005) [#6]
Exactly... that is what i thought, i don't combine the objects, i can let culling render only what is needed.

I can add to this thread that more textures increases the loading time, because loading one file of 10 MB is faster than loading 10 of 1 MB!

Thanks!

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#7]
There is a balance to find between entity culling and surface count. That balance is not universal and will depend greatly on your precise usage. Generally though, I find surface count reduction to be more important than entity culling. Ideally you'd combine both and use "zones" where all objects within that zone share a surface and a texture.

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#8]
I personally try to use minimal amount of separate textures (surfaces) per object, although obviously tiling textures can't be combined... also it's not always practical to combine everything in one texture in some cases - like if the resulting texture would be really big or something. And of course there's never need to combine textures that are for different (separate) parts of the object hierarchy like for example cars body and tires.