waypoints

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/waypoints

cash(Posted 2005) [#1]
A while back there was a piece of software featured for mapping waypoints in a model. There was a screenie of a basic interior model with waypoints and lines between on it.

Anyone remember what and where it is.

My AI system is very basic and could do with an update, this would be ideal but I cant find it. Any ideas ?

puki(Posted 2005) [#2]
Nope, although "Frank Taylor" did post similar stuff in his 'Project Plasma' threads.

D4NM4N(Posted 2005) [#3]
I did something like this in my jetscream game using cartograpgy shop, but i suppose you could do it in any 3d software that does splines, i created a spline 'wall' then in software just put a pivot on every fourth vertex. then deleted the spline object. then i had a complete set of waypoints to play with.

Scherererer(Posted 2005) [#4]
I made my own small editor just for object placement and waypoint creation. Then I used Line in conjunction with CameraProject to display which nodes were connected to which

ss:

cash(Posted 2005) [#5]
Its okay I found it. It wasnt a program, but a lib.

http://www.mrpye.com/Blitz/Pathfinding/pathfinding.htm

puki(Posted 2005) [#6]
That's interesting "Tainted Instinct" - do you use it dynamically on-the-fly? Coz that is how I do AI - I use dynamically, resizable, waypoint grids that I can chuck in front of an Entity as it moves - the waypoint system modifies itself to the surroundings. Its more handy for corridor/room type FPS like Half-Life/Doom3 stuff. Coz the waypoint grid is in effect a mesh which has the natural ability to auto-pathfind on-the-fly because if the Entity enters a room with furniture (desks/chairs, etc) then whatever nodes hit the objects (collision based - static or dynamic) such as a desk get switched off - basically the system I use sort of 'heals' itself by reconnecting its nodes. This allows for moveable scenary (such as a desk which can be moved - H-L2 style) and the AI waypoint system will just adapt itself to constant changes in its surroundings.

None of that nancy-boy LinePicking stuff going on. Couple it up with a 2D line of sight system (again no nancy-boy LinePicking) and Largness is fulfilled.