Coder needed - Near(ish) Brighton

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Coder needed - Near(ish) Brighton

Grovesy(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi all.

I'm working on a new 3D game in blitz (obviously) which is going to be a remake of a fantastic classic game (will in my opinion!). Unfortunately I don't want to give too much away at this point as I’m thinking that this could, potentially, maybe, be profitable! And if not, I still think this will be a great project to work on.

I'm looking for a Blitz3D coder with reasonable stills to work along side me. I myself have little Blitz3D stills, but do have Blitz2D knowledge, also my profession is software engineering, but mainly use C, so I just need to get up to speed with the language.

Before anyone asks, I’m not after someone to do this project for me. I'm a very hands on person and will be involved every step of the way. But need another programming to help me for 3 reasons.

1) To learn the language more.
2) There’s too much work for one person.
3) I have much more motivation when working with other people.

A little about the game (but without giving too much away):
Its a RTS style game, where you control a small group of characters. The principle of the game is very simple, but, like lemmings for example, is extremely addictive. As I say, I don't really want to give too much away until I have found someone who seams fairly keen and, ideally, lives near Brighton, UK (I say this because I like to occasionally have meetings and also find it easier to communicate ideas when meeting in person) But if your interested and not near Brighton, still feel free to contact me and we will see what we can do.

There are 2 other guys already working with me. A guy who’s doing the music (we hope to re-mix the original), some sound effects and a little 3D modelling, and another guy who will hopefully be helping with level creation, 3D modelling, and has an interest in physics and is good moral support lol.

We already have a private forum set up for this project where we discuss ideas and keep our own worklogs.

So anyone who might be interested, please contact me on chris@... and I can tell you a little more.

Cheers. I'm sure there will be plenty more posts from me with coding questions lol.

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#2]
Sounds like Canon Fodder...

The problem with working with two people programming is you have to plan the project for "multiple" people, this massively increases the work load. 2 programmers is often less than 1 - unless you work on multiple levels and have 1 programmer doing engine stuff and another just scripting - but then you wont learn anything.

I am not sufficiently near to Brighton to help you, although I used to spend some time there - normally in a gutter near the train station...

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#3]
which is going to be a remake of a fantastic classic game (will in my opinion!). Unfortunately I don't want to give too much away at this point as I’m thinking that this could, potentially, maybe, be profitable!

Sounds like your idea is already flawed. You can't make money off a remake without permission.

Nexic(Posted 2005) [#4]
You can copy a gameplay mechanic, but not art, sound, characters or level designs.

Unless of course the gameplay mechanic is patented, which it probably isn't.

Sledge(Posted 2005) [#5]
If you're going to clone a Sensible game then tread carefully.

Grovesy(Posted 2005) [#6]
Well the main objective is to make the game, the secondary object would be to make money if at all possible. Thanks for your comments tho.

Becky Rose, I work as a software developer by trade (but unfortunately we code mainly in C!) and the projects I work on would be near impossible for one coder to complete in a sensible amount of time.

The way I play to divide the work up would be to get a simple framework for the game to work on (ie, simple movement and simple level design) then get the different people to implement different functionality (such as AI, navigate, weapons, menu systems etc). I think your right in that by having 2 coders (for example) you wouldn't double productivity as one person would have to keep track of things and put it all together, but I think it would increase productivity by 50%! Then any other coders after that would add an extra 60%-70% (assuming you don't have loads of coders, because then you need several project manager lol, anyway im only after 1-2 people).

Peoples thoughts on managing projects would be interesting!

Nexic, thanks for that information, that very interesting. I think i will look into this a little more. If you have any links tha might help that would be great. If I do find anything interesting out i post it in a new forum for others to read in the hope it will help them.

Sledge, thanks for that link, its quite an interesting read.

Cheers all

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#7]
Well, you can check out my copyright FAQ.

steve_ancell(Posted 2005) [#8]
Iv'e had quite a bit of practice on BlitzBasic 2D, Iv'e had a little practice on Blitz3D, and own a copy of both products. I also live smack bang in Brighton, near Whitehawk.

Although I have not had a great amount of practice with th 3D side of things, I can safely say I know a fair bit about BlitzBasic programming in general.

Maybe we could have a chinwag to determine if I have anything usefull to offer.