compare types

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/compare types

maximo(Posted 2005) [#1]
This doesn't seem to be working. So how do I check if test1 and test2 are the same or not the same without throwing in some "Field ID" in the definition of Type Test. I though this would work but it doesn't work in code I'm working on.

for this1.Test Each Test

for this2.Test = Each Test

if (this1 = this2) then 
         ; do something
      end if

next

next 

BlackD(Posted 2005) [#2]
AFAIK, you can't nest type loops.

maximo(Posted 2005) [#3]
And what would happen if you did? As far as I know you can nest them since I have done that before and it worked. But how do you compare them? Anyone knows`?

big10p(Posted 2005) [#4]
In that code you're just comparing the type handles. To actually compare the contents (fields) of types, you have to do it manually i.e. compare each field.

[edit] Also, using a nested loop like that will mean you will be comparing a type instance with itself at times, which will always match. :)

Stevie G(Posted 2005) [#5]
Just an example of how I do it. This way cuts the comparisons down a fair bit.

For b1.body = Each body
		b2.body = b1
		While b2 <> Last body
			b2 = After b2
			distance# = EntityDistance( b1\entity , b2\entity )
			If Distance < ( b1\BT\Radius + b2\BT\Radius ) And ( b1\Collider And b2\Collider )
				COLLISIONcheck( b1 , b2 )
				COLLISIONcheck( b2 , b1 )
			EndIf
		Wend
	Next

maximo(Posted 2005) [#6]
nice, just what I looked for :) thanks for the example.

>you have to do it manually i.e. compare each field.

I did that and for some reason it didn't work, it match true even it if was not the case.

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#7]
You can nest type loops. Your code at the top of the page has a bug in the first line: missing "=" sign.

I really don't know why people reply with wrong information when they obviously don't know the answer.

Type myType
	Field name$
End Type

a.myType = New myType
a\name = "a"

b.myType = New myType
b\name = "b"

For c.myType = Each myType
	For d.myType = Each myType
		If c = d
			Print "found type objects "+c\name+" and "+d\name
		EndIf
	Next
Next
WaitKey
End

big10p(Posted 2005) [#8]
I really don't know why people reply with wrong information when they obviously don't know the answer.
Uh? Maximo did say "nice, just what I looked for". I know his first post looks like he wants to compare type handles but I deduced that's not what he wanted as it - and your example - are pointless because one type's handle will never match another type's. :)

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#9]
I didn't mean you. :) I actually only meant BlackD. Sorry if I offended anyone else.

But it is still true that his code would not have worked either way cos of the missing =.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#10]
Not offended, just a bit confused. :P

But it is still true that his code would not have worked either way cos of the missing =.
I can't argue with that. :)