can .pak files work with b3d

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/can .pak files work with b3d

seferey(Posted 2005) [#1]
I was wondering if you use a .pak file that you created for quake2 but for your own game. Can Blitz3d read .pak files

just wodering

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#2]
I 'think' .pak files used by quake games are renamed .zip files, so if you can load a zip file you can load a pak file.

seferey(Posted 2005) [#3]
yeah but if being used in Blitze 3d what type of command would you half to use on it for it to load your content up as
user starts up your exe file for your game

how do you load a .pak or a zip into blitz3d

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#4]
You will need to find a userlib or something to extract the resources from the zip/pak file as there is no easy command to do this in Blitz3d. Not sure if there is one though.

seferey(Posted 2005) [#5]
Thanks Stuart Morgan Well anyway the reason why I asked is because I want to protect my game files from tampering

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#6]
pak or zip files are not very tamper proof. Try MediaLinker to pack the files in the exe. Not sure what the download link is for it though. You can find out somewhere on this site though I'm sure.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2005) [#7]
Medialinker is the way you should go...simple, fast and easy to use...everything in one final EXX packed..

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#8]
...and in most peoples applications stealable by alt-tabbing.

Be sure to clean up your depacks the moment after loading, rather than on program exit as seems to be the popular choice.

At the end of the day nobody in their right mind is going to release a game that uses your media - although it does happen ocassionally but it's spotted easily by too many people and the author gets riddiculed.

If they use one of my models for a project that stays on their hard disk then I dont really care.

I'd only be upset if someone tried to take credit for my work but more often than not what actually happens is an email arrives asking permission, or the project never gets off their hard disk - which are both fine.

lo-tekk(Posted 2005) [#9]
... my favourite is BBCruncher:
http://blitzbasic.com/toolbox/toolbox.php?tool=65
The only missing feature is file encryption.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#10]
And of course the commercial solution is "molebox", if you want to spend some money.