Images size issue

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Images size issue

big10p(Posted 2005) [#1]
I'm having some issues with images above a certain width. These images are generated in code with a max height of about 200 but the width can potentially reach ~30000, in very extreme cases. They are font image strips.

Now, i haven't had any trouble loading such images but on one of my machines, it decides to place the image in AGP system RAM instead of VRAM, even though there's easily enough free VRAM to hold the image. When this happens, displaying parts of the image (font characters) becomes much slower as it's swapped in and out of VRAM. Well. that appears to be what's happening, anyway.

I was just wondering what peoples views would be on tackling this problem.

I guess if I try to create the font image with multiple rows instead of a single strip, this would make the image squarer which might persuade the GFX card to load it into VRAM?

*sigh* I dunno, I think I'm ready to give up on this project. :/

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#2]
I've heard of certain machines that can only load, or have trouble loading in images bigger than the width of the desktop. Maybe thats an issue. Its a gfx card issue though.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#3]
I've heard of certain machines that can only load, or have trouble loading in images bigger than the width of the desktop.

I think some (mine included) have problems displaying whole images above a certain width but I think actually loading images that size is ok. Then you can display sections of the image with DrawImageRect etc.

That works on my machines so I assumed it would work on others. Probably a stupid assumption, maybe. :P

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#4]
Knock up a simple demo, and we'll all test it.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#5]
OK John, I've put together a simple exe demo (1.2MB) that can be grabbed from here:
http://big10p.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/vram_test.exe

Sorry it's a bit on the big side but it does contain a large font image, which is what I need to test. :)

If people could run it and report what values they get, it would be great. Please also give your graphics card specs - particularly how much VRAM it has.

Thanks.

Shambler(Posted 2005) [#6]
I get a coloured box on the screen like a colour selecter but nothing else!

big10p(Posted 2005) [#7]
Ooops, hold on a minute - I might have uploaded the wrong file!? :/

[edit] Yep, was the wrong file! :P Sorry about that - can you try again please. :)

Shambler(Posted 2005) [#8]
4 Large Hello's and

Millisecs 0-1
Slowest 28
FPS 63
Worst 62
Vram 10089472

256MB Vram.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#9]
Thanks Shambler. Seems to work fine on your PC.

On my crappy GeForce2 32MB I get "VRAM used: 0" - meaning it gets laoded into AGP system RAM - and consequently, a rubbish FPS. :/

[edit] I'd really like it if folks with an older 16/32MB card or *gulp* on-board graphics, could test this for me, please. :)

BlackJumper(Posted 2005) [#10]
Not looking good...

ATI Radeon Mobile9000 64Mb

Stevie G(Posted 2005) [#11]
Looks fine ....

Millisecs 0
Slowest 1
FPS 61
Worst 61

GFX440 MX

big10p(Posted 2005) [#12]
BlackJumper: That doesn't look good. :( The image seems to have been loaded into VRAM but somethings not right, obviously.

Stevie G: That's more like the results I was hoping for. It seems GeForce's are coping with this better.

Not sure what to do about this. I'll have to have a think.

Thanks.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#13]
Hmm, I'm a bit stumped on this one. :/

Does anybody know what the max image dimesions are that will reliably work within Blitz3D?

Some have said "no bigger than the screen res" but that doesn't really help me as my images (fonts) can potentially be used in any res.