Object-Based Programming w/ Blitz3D: A web course.

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Object-Based Programming w/ Blitz3D: A web course.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#1]
Are you interested in improving the organization, readability, reusability, and extension of your Blitz3D code? Would you like to learn Object-Oriented Programming but don't think your quite ready for it? Well then my online course: "Applied Object-Based Programming with Blitz3D" is the perfect starting point for you!

Course Available here!

In my course, you will learn the Object-Based Programming Techniques that I developed over 4 years specifically for Blitz3D. Each Lesson will teach a simple concept that demystifies Object-Oriented Programming Languages like C++.

Learn How To:

* Unlock the true power of the Blitz3D Custom Type: The core of Object-Based Programming in Blitz3D
* Employ a Label Convention to Organize Modular Readable Code.
* Create Class Objects, Hierarchy, Templates, & Methods
* Use OOP Concepts like: Constructors & Destructors
* Use Psuedo-Inheritence: Types within Types, within Types...
* Use Primary 'Key' Referencing to randomly access objects and link them to each other.
* Use the 'this' label to make your code more Object-Oriented.
* Use Code Wizards to generate commonly needed Object-Based Structures and Methods from a Custom Type.
* General Optimization Techniques.

If you don't think your ready for OOP then Applied Object-Based Programming with Blitz3D is the next logical step. Sign up Today! Visit the Cyber ClassRoom.

sting(Posted 2005) [#2]
ok so where would one go to take this?

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#3]
sting_gs13,

The course will be here.

Hujiklo(Posted 2005) [#4]
Hey this sounds good! I'm only a half coherent coder at the best of times so this could help clear up a few grey areas!
Gimme the first tut!

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#5]
ill probably need this

BlackJumper(Posted 2005) [#6]
As long as I can use my "the dog ate my homework" excuse you can sign me up too.

sting(Posted 2005) [#7]
Thanks Frank.

Clarks(Posted 2005) [#8]
i want to see what this will be like

Hujiklo(Posted 2005) [#9]
Wow! You'd have though more people would be interested especially considering the amount of posts in the beginners section...is this posted there? I'll find out for myself.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#10]
Hujiklo,

Good Suggestion. I'll Post this article in the Beginner's Section as well. Hopefully, I dont get cursed for double posting:)

Clarks(Posted 2005) [#11]
when will we start seeing the tutorials

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#12]
Clarks

I will be posting links to the Lessons 1 week from today.

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#13]
Hi Frank.
I've got to admit that even though I'm a long way down the Blitz line, when I look at your list of subjects I realise that half of them are topics that I always felt 'I should go into more deeply', instead of just programming off the top of my head.
Yes, please.

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#14]
Hm...

If John's going for this - then so will I please...

IPete2.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#15]
Applied Object-Based Programming with Blitz3D: A Course Sneek Peek

Snarkbait(Posted 2005) [#16]
Excellent work. I've been using 'this' for a long time, coming from Visual Foxpro programming.

Clarks(Posted 2005) [#17]
the course is looking good so far

Danny(Posted 2005) [#18]
sign me up..

Hujiklo(Posted 2005) [#19]
Yup - looking pretty darned good. Nice, simple and clearly put across.

BlackJumper(Posted 2005) [#20]
Sneaked a Peek....

Nice colour scheme. I forsee a religious war over the use of underscores in variable names. For me the main 'fuzzy' area is the coding of standard template-like structures (stacks, lists, heaps, etc.) That I tend to build organically at present - non-encapsulated.

I am both excited and a bit nervous about having to put my hand up in tutorials... ;-)

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#21]
BlackJumper,

Putting underscores in Variable names was a religious war for me. However, the use of underscores only apply to Global variables and Constants. By using the Label Convention Rules, one can instantly identify the labels as Global variables and Constants.

Encapsulation in the techniques I describe in the course are based on the Label Convention.

Snarkbait(Posted 2005) [#22]
The only thing I don't like about underscores is they slow down your typing... they need to make a 'programmer's keyboard' with an underscore key you don't have to hit shift for. I still use 'em, it's just a pain.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#23]
Fellow Blitzers,

Applied Object-Based Programming Course is nearing completion. With only a few more details and exercises to go. All Class participants will have the option of emailing Exercises in for a Grade. I will post Grades publicly only with Participant's consent.

Hujiklo(Posted 2005) [#24]
Posting grades eh? Me-thinks the dog is going to eat my homework!

DH(Posted 2005) [#25]
I gotta say Frank, this is one of the brightest ideas you have had! (No sarcasm, being honest here). There are so many who don't use these techniques (you see if often in the code archives, I find myself having to do some major cleaning/reworking on code I get from the archives), and yet these techniques are very helpful.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#26]
DH,

Wow. I truly appreciate the compliment.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#27]
Official Class Start Date: 1 Oct 2005.

Students with a Head Start on Exercises may want to revisit the Lessons for updates and Extra Credit Exercises:)

VP(Posted 2005) [#28]
I have only one suggestion, PDF version?

A lot of my actual learning happens away from the keyboard. There's no replacement for hardcopy (an no, WiFi and a laptop does not count :) ).

NA(Posted 2005) [#29]
I think the guy who asked for a PDF version is right we need something to see on our computer when not on the web.

VP(Posted 2005) [#30]
Working on a PDF (actually, OpenOffice) version now... will submit to Frank to see if he will make it available.

** EDIT: Phew! Just about finished producing the PDF version. I've emailed it to Frank for approval. Hopefully this can be made freely available :) My copy has been printed out in booklet form and will probably remain my main reference for OBP for Blitz3D.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#31]
vinylpusher,

Thank you for your efforts. I will make the PDF version available immediately!

VP(Posted 2005) [#32]
Stunning. Nice one Frank :)

Left the comments in the PDF though... :D

I really hope you find time to extend the course. Even just for us n00b's to use as a reference guide. Already, it has been of significant value to me. My project at http://www.stefanholmes.com/spheres/ uses techniques taken directly from your guide. Many thanks!