Lightmapping question

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Lightmapping question

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#1]
This is possibly a question for Sswift or Marcelo, but anyone please feel free to answer.

I'm creating a world editor (oh god not another one).
I would like to have internal lightmapping just for the look of it, even tho I will still be recommending that users then move on to Giles( - if sswift says it's the bees knees then it must be).

So I've got YAL 1.5 working and on my 3rd test model I notice no effect! - Hah, this one has child entities, and YAL seems to be coded to deal with CountSurfaces() for one mesh.

So, would it be better to rewrite the internal code to track thru the children, then pass them to the CountSurface() section?
Or is there a simple way to export a model as a single mesh and reload it, so I could use the normal code?

By the way sswifty, did you ever start work on the commercial lightmapper you threatened last year?

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#2]
Hang on, it can't be just as simple as using LoadMesh() instead of LoadAnimMesh() can it?

GrahamK(Posted 2005) [#3]
yep ;)

I think.

Shambler(Posted 2005) [#4]
It depends if you want to keep the parent/child hierarchy of the mesh...are you going to save the mesh back to disk?

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#5]
Shambler: No.
Blitztastic: So do I.

I'll let you know.

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#6]
Yes, definitely.
Using simply LoadMesh() instead of LoadAnimMesh() (- my default) has cracked the problem. No need to rewrite any part of YAL.

Damn, but this is good code! Many thanks to Marcelo, Sswift, and anyone else who helped to produce it.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#7]
that's one of the wonderful aspects of the well thought out b3d format...

--Mike