Change Polygon Colour

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Change Polygon Colour

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#1]
Is it possible to change the colour of a single face on a mesh?
I am thinking of rewriting a piece of code which is used to select mesh faces. Currently, the selection is shown by actually creating a polygon that is a replica of the one that has been selected, but this method can have a bad effect with various computers. Is there a better way to do this?

Edit: ARRGH! Sorry to let your hopes up if you came here expecting code. I always forget to put question marks after question posts.

Shambler(Posted 2005) [#2]
You could try vertex colours.

If the face has unique unwelded vertices then this should look quite effective, otherwise there will be a slight bleed of colour onto adjacent faces which may or may not be acceptable.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#3]
Personally, I'd stick with doing it the way you already are. This keeps the selection/replica mesh and the model mesh separate, which I think is desirable.

What problems are you having doing it this way? Just remember to move the selection mesh a little way towards the camera to avoid z-fighting.

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#4]
I don't have to worry about z-fighting. The renderer makes the mesh transparent.
The problem I'm having with doing it this way is that when I wrote the code, I had it create a new surface for every selected polygon, and I'm too lazy to go through everything to fix it :) Thus, I would be very pleased if there was a way which would further justify a rewrite of my selections code.