adding shadows

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/adding shadows

skyfire1(Posted 2005) [#1]
i'm trying to add realistic realtime shadows to my game, kind of like a lightmap but realtime instead. any help?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#2]
This is one of the most tricky chapters at all. If this is an FPS or TPS thing, I wish you good luck, you'll need it.

There are several approaches, but all of them are software based (not using hardware shader speed). Some of them are looking pretty good, but in real live the usually are too slow. You may check this out:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=50371

sswift(Posted 2005) [#3]
If you're talking about character shadows, the best solution I can offer is that you check out the link to my shadow system below. It's not free, but writing a system to cast shadows is anything but easy. There are some free solutions out there, but they don't do a very good job. (Either they don't optimize the shaodw rendering, or they cast shadows onto "cloth" meshes which they then try to wrap around the underlying geometry in the world, which doesn't work that well.)

If you're talking Doom 3, everything casts shadows, shadows, then forget it. Can't be done in Blitz 3D.

skyfire1(Posted 2005) [#4]
is there any way to create shadows using hardware shader speed in b3d?

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#5]
Not without a userlib. I think somebody is trying to do a DirectX9 userlib for this purpose... don't know if it works or how far it's gotten...

skyfire1(Posted 2005) [#6]
ok. thanks for the help!

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#7]
I can vouch for ease of use of sswift's shadow system - its awesome for certain things.

Check out my gallery shot of SS Great Britain, all the real-time shadows in that are using Shawn's system.

IPete2.