Is MOD Safe?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Is MOD Safe?

Nexic(Posted 2005) [#1]
I'm about to pay someone to produce some modular music for my game. However I've heard that some file types cause errors with Blitz3D. I've heard XM and IT are don't work without erros. Which modular file can I use that will get around these problems? Once I know which file types are safe I can pass it on to my composer so I don't end up with useless music :)

Neochrome(Posted 2005) [#2]
MOD files are perfectly safe,
*.it, *.mod, *.xm, *.s3m are something i use alot and i have NO problems with them

you can use .ogg, .mp3, .wav and .mid files too!

Matty(Posted 2005) [#3]
I'm pretty sure from about blitz3d 1.86 onwards mod files have troubles. Check the bugs forum it is in there.

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#4]
It may be a case of reverting to an earlier version of Blitz. Check the versions.txt and have a look at when FMOD was most recently updated - then try the version before that.

Of course, first make sure that there are no problems with the latest version ;]

D4NM4N(Posted 2005) [#5]
record it to ogg.

HappyCat(Posted 2005) [#6]
v1.87 and above have problems with mod files (I've experienced it with .it files). v1.86 is the last one where they worked without problems.

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#7]
Not without problems - FMOD was upgraded for a reason.

HappyCat(Posted 2005) [#8]
Okay then, without the catastrophic crashing problems you get with .it mod files.

Sledge(Posted 2005) [#9]

FMOD was upgraded for a reason

To add support for OGG'ed mods, I think. Prior playback was robust.

Nexic(Posted 2005) [#10]
So is it literally just .xm and .it? What about .oxm and the other variations? Just using Ogg is not a decent option, as it's too big for my project.

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#11]
I believe it's a problem with the entire mod replayer as a global rule... different people have different stories using different mod formats, but it seems none of them are completely safe.