Loading 3ds mesh WITH its textures?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Loading 3ds mesh WITH its textures?

racingspider(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi... I have a bit of an issue. My brother is using Maya to create terrain, with seperate texturemaps on it (ie, not a single large tiled one). He's then exporting it to 3ds.
However, when I load the mesh, of course, it has no textures. Does loading it ignore the coordinates and names of each of the textures on the model? Do I have to somehow manually apply them, because that would be counterproductive.

Oh, this also brings another point. The model can't be used as "terrain" can it?

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#2]
Hi,

Make sure of the following.

(1) 3ds texture names have to be 8.3 format "grass.jpg" would be okay but "greengrassyknoll.jpg" would not be okay.

(2) All textures need to be UV mapped onto surfaces.

(3) All texture maps should be in the same folder as the 3ds model so B3d can find them.

(4) not sure if 3ds can handle more thatn one or two layers of textutre mapping on export.

If you do it right the textures will appear on the mesh but you'll need to lightmap them or use blitz lighting (not so good) use ambientlight 255,255,255 to see stuff at full lighting to begin with.

Find out if there is a B3d exporter for Maya from the various links page, or ask around on the forums. Exporting as a B3d model would be the best route. Or write your own obased on the code just above here. You can export it out as a mesh and load it as a mesh, but it would be an inefficient method if the mesh was large.

Heightmaps are used in B3d to create terrains so you need to make a black/white image and blur it nicely in photoshop to get B3d to do a goo job of creating a terrain, of course you would still need to texture it.

IPete2.

racingspider(Posted 2005) [#3]
Hiya, thanks for the seriously fast reply. The problem was that the bitmaps were not in the same file as the 3ds file. I split them up to manage them.
Its okay now, seems to work. Though, will I be taking a performance hit for using a loaded model as the terrain?
Also, I'm sure there's something that I'll miss by not using generated terrain...

Raitsun(Posted 2005) [#4]
You have no LOD with a loaded mesh as terrain, but that's no great issue if your terrain doesn't have too much polys