WAV files and windows xp

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/WAV files and windows xp

trb(Posted 2005) [#1]
I have a game that plays looped wav files as background music. I've tested on several windows 2000 setups with good results...but when it comes to windows XP i'm having issues.

The opening wav plays fine, but then after that point no wavs play at all. no sound effects, no background music, nothing. I've checked the code...I've done all my necessary clean up, it looks like everything should work fine (as it does with win2000). I even browsed to the files to make sure they play through media player. Anyone run into this problem or point me in the right direction?

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#2]
Never come across this problem, and I've used wavs, mp3s, oggs, avis, mpgs etc all in the same prog in XP (sometimes at the same time!).

I can only suggest that you write an ultra simple media player (outside your main engine) to do simple testing.

Then if all is OK, go back to your engine and start 'rem'ing out whole sections while you test.

Unless its remotely a Blitz/XP/driver problem (unlikely) it could be Sherlock Holmes time!

RGR(Posted 2005) [#3]
There is a problem I have noticed - but I have not solved it either, yet.
Win XP Home: No Problems
Win XP Pro: Starting the Computer. Starting a Blitz Program with Sound. Sound is only 20 % loud as it should be and is distorted. Stopping the Program. Starting it again. Sound is normal as it should!

Starting another Program later makes no trouble either. Its just the first start of a Blitz3D program with sound after starting the computer.

Neochrome(Posted 2005) [#4]
Could be an issue with the sound cards drivers for windows XP since drivers can cause problems like this.

RGR(Posted 2005) [#5]
Could be - but on the other hand - in my case Blitz3D Programs are the only ones that cause that strange behaviour.
100s of other Programs - newest or oldest - are running without any funny sound differences compared to our other Computers.
Might also be a Hardware issue in this case - because this one where we notice it is the only one with a digital TV card ...