BSP LEVELS WITHOUT LICENSE FEE

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/BSP LEVELS WITHOUT LICENSE FEE

Agoeiro(Posted 2005) [#1]
I want to create a commercial game using BSP levels
I need pay license fee to ID Software????
what the soluction?

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#2]
Not using BSP levels ;)

puki(Posted 2005) [#3]
If you are going to do a commercial game that is any good, then you should let your publisher worry about it.

If it were me, I'd just carry on now and write the game - worry about the licence fee when the game is complete.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#4]
Not using ID's BSP Compiler Application to produce the BSP file! There are some open source BSP compiler projects, although somebody told me they're not fully working, but that's some time ago. Check it out:
http://map3bspc.sourceforge.net/
And then there's OpenBSP wich is not the same AFAIK:
http://www.osmanturan.com/

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#5]
Can I just ask (since BSPs sound intriguing) isn't Q3Radiant supposed to be the bee's knees?

Is anyone out there using a BSP prog to create levels, and if so, which?

puki(Posted 2005) [#6]
The only one I ever really dabbled in was 'Radiant'. However, I grew bored of faffing about and instead went and found decent levels out of the thousands and thousands of levels out there.

I like BSP's coz they are nice and efficient. I'll never forget the day I loaded up the Return to Castle Wolfenstein castle/dungeon type levels into Dark Basic Pro and sat there thinking 'Oh yeh!!!'. Alas, Blitz3D will not load them.

sswift(Posted 2005) [#7]
I highly doubt that BSP is either neccessary or the most optimal way to render levels nowadays.

I would split my levels up into a set of objects, and then determine which of those objects are visible from a particular area at a particular time.

However, when doing this, you must pack as many polygons into as few surfaces as possible. Surfaces slow stuff down. But having a ton of polygons in an object which is halfways off the screen is also a waste.

So you have to balance the size of your objects with the limitation of using as few objects/surfaces as possible.

I would try to split my level up into "rooms". A "room" might be a square section of terrain. I would then combine all objects in the room which will not be animated but use the same set of textures into a single surface. For example, if I had trees in a "room", all their trunks would be one surface, and all their leaves would be a second surface with an alpha map.

But if I had chairs in a room, and I wanted those chairs to be affected by physics, then I would make the chairs invidual objects as they need to be animated.

Then I would split the level up into a grid, or a set of cubes that each contain a room, and figure out which other rooms the player can see from a particualr room and store that so I know which entities to hide and which to show. I would also consider hiding sub objects in rooms which are far from the player that are unlikely to be seen.

I might even make two levels of detail for each room, one for closeups, and one for when the room is in the distance. This might contain a list of which objects should be hidden in the room when it is in the distance as well, and those objects would not have lower detail models. Then I could reduce the cost of rendering stuff far away.

My foliage system took an extra step with actually combining rooms in the distance into larger objects with fewer polygons per room combined into this object. But if you have lots of levels of detail, this can be costly which is why I suggest only two levels and making the transition far enough away that it won't be obvious.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2005) [#8]
..for BSP trees, pretty good editor is GTKRadiant (IDsoftware) and it can generate all Quake types of BSP's...second one, my fovorite I used many time for my projects before (I stop with it after I purchase 3DS MAX) is Hammer for Half Life kind of BSP's...there is also few BSP's compilers I have somewhere on disc, pretty useful, where some of them can directly recompile whole 3DSMAX scene with lights in to BSP..

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#9]
Naughty Alien, are GTKRadiant and Q3Radiant the same?
Seems a bit of a coincidence.

sswift, I done most of the things that you suggest - I'm just curious, since I've never used BSPs.

Agoeiro(Posted 2005) [#10]
"""Not using ID's BSP Compiler Application to produce the BSP file! There are some open source BSP compiler projects, although somebody told me they're not fully working, but that's some time ago. Check it out:
map3bspc.sourceforge.net/
And then there's OpenBSP wich is not the same AFAIK:
www.osmanturan.com/ """""

Reply: those open source BSP compiler generate a valid Q3 BSP level format where I load using level=LoadBSP( "nyk3dm1\nyk3dm1.bsp",.8 )
????
????
????

Naughty Alien(Posted 2005) [#11]
GTKRadiant is a little bit advanced since in export menus you can choose many compiling options for your BSP, and also, it has new feature (in comparison with Q3radiant) wich alow you to import OBJ files...basically both come from same side (Id software)..my choice goes to GTKRadiant...better and more stable