Quick question about scales!?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Quick question about scales!?

Alienforce(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi All,

I use the formula 1 Blitz unit = 1 Meter.
Is this correct or is there any other formula for the Worldscale. I have noticed that other use different scales in blitz. I am thinking how it affects light and collisions etc..

/Alienforce

Stevie G(Posted 2005) [#2]
Personally I really just go with what looks/feels right but if you want to make sure that all objects are the correct size relative to each other then this is definately the way to go. e.g. Man height = 2 units , Tree height = 10 units etc...

I guess as long as you're consistent with your measurements then it makes no odds ..

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#3]
For the sake of the z-buffer/camerarange I would choose either 1 unit=1 meter or 10 units=1 meter. Others might have other ideas.

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#4]
My life got a lot easier when I set 1 blitz unit = 1 metre.
I finally had a standard to adhere to! Before, it was just line of sight, and changed frustratingly from one day to the next.

Now I specifically look for miodellers that I can predict the export size from.

It seems that more and more 3D products are going for that sort of standard (except for 3DS of course - 1 3DS unit = 3000 blitz units, or something ;)

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#5]
1 Blitz unit can be anything you want it to be!!!

There is no right or wrong.
Galactic Allegiance has spacecraft hundreds of metres long, travelling at speeds best measured in km/s

Therefore, Blitzunits are equivalent to about 10m for the project.

It will certainly depend a lot on the detail of the meshes you use, especially if the meshes are of people or familiar objects that have a standard size (Everyone 'knows' how big an armchair is etc)

What is important when determining your scale, is to keep the ratios the same, especially with respect to camera ranges and such.

The best ratios I find are 1/1000 that is, if the minimum separation from camera to object is 1 unit, keep the 'far' range at 1000

This can be extended slightly, depending on hardware capabilities, and Bit-Depth. 16Bit graphic modes can give more z-buffer.

Alienforce(Posted 2005) [#6]
Thanks for the input Guys,

/Alienforce