black out background at any rez

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/black out background at any rez

dena(Posted 2005) [#1]
Greetings all:
I am finishing up a project, developed at 800x600 16 bit, Windowed, using F-UI to do some of the graphics window stuff. The client now wants a black background, like director or powerpoint does, where regardless of the graphics settings/rez of the user machine, the app will appear centered on screen, in an 800x600 window, surrounded by black, effectively blocking all the stuff on the desktop or open apps, windows, etc. The application also has buttons that call external files, like pdfs and wmvs, which play on top of blitz when the come up.
I don't know how to do this in a way that will be compatible with a wide variety of graphics cards, etc.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#2]
You probably need to use some win api calls using a userlib, like the SetWindowPos thingy that allows not only to set the position, but also to make it always-on-top etc. There are several win api references in the web, like:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winui/winui/windowsuserinterface/windowing/windows/windowreference/windowfunctions/setwindowpos.asp

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#3]
(jfk got there before me but nevermind.)

There are ways (painful), but does your client not realise that any user will be able to Alt-Tab another window on top?

I've tried this for a previous employer and it was nightmare.

You would have to use a user lib to create your black borderless window, then set your Blitz window as 'topmost' over that.

You need a seriously outlined spec covering all eventualities agreed with the client before you begin this.
Or else it'll be 'Oh, it does this.' and 'It doesn't do that.' - Yeah been there before.

Yan(Posted 2005) [#4]
I had this to hand and it was easy to modify to do some of what you require, so...

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#5]
Thanks TwoEyedPete, you've also answer my question in the other thread about getting rid of the Titlebar:
Viewport and Origin eh?

Dena? You ok now?

dena(Posted 2005) [#6]
Well, I don't known yet if I am ok, do these solutions mean I have to reposition all 2d and 3d coordinates, buttons, mouseovers, etc.....Let me give TwoEyedPete's example above a look, and I will get back to you. Boy John, I do appreciate your advice regarding client stuff, as we are at the end of this project, and I told project manager that this was not going to happen early on, but it appears he did not share that with the client, and now, when we are 95% done, the client comes back with this....

dena(Posted 2005) [#7]
TwoEyedPete, I uncommented and saved the lines at the top between the ;-----------------------------------------'s as User32.decls into my userlibs folder, and saved the rest and tried to compile...no workie, I am very very tired and not thinking too clearly; what do I need to do to run this thing, Please?

dena(Posted 2005) [#8]
Ignore the last post, I am an idiot, I got it to run, no problem. So, what about calling an external file using ExecFile (filename1$), it will be in the background, right?

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#9]
dena, my condolences.
I still don't know how you would handle this situation without foaming at the mouth.

I once had a Japanese client 'who will be at your shoulder for two weeks while you program' - Ahh!!!
Can you imagine???

I guess I'm old enough now (53) that if it ever happened again I'd throw my weight around and refuse.
(You get to do that when you're older.)

As it was, the company folded and I started my own (just me). Wonder if there was a connection?