What IDE?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/What IDE?

RetroRusty(Posted 2005) [#1]
What IDE do you use and why do you use it?

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#2]
BLIde from the toolbox. Best because it is.
Seriously, try them all out, there's only three of them.

RetroRusty(Posted 2005) [#3]
But that compiles BlitzMax only.

xmlspy(Posted 2005) [#4]
Why is a BlitzMax question on Blitz3D section? I heard that Protean is also using Max now. I'm not sure.

Rhyolite(Posted 2005) [#5]
Protean is good, but costs a bit more than some other alternatives. It does have MAX support, but I am not sure how many features the 'max' version has yet (I only use Blitz3D atm).

Rhy :)

Xaron(Posted 2005) [#6]
I use SourceEdit. It's good and free.

http://www.sourceedit.com

Regards - Xaron

Alienforce(Posted 2005) [#7]
Protean, rules and is worth every $.

/Alienforce

Difference(Posted 2005) [#8]
Unfortunatly Protean seems to be dead. There are basic bugs in the lastest release that have needed fixing for over 4 months now.
( http://proteanide.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=712 )

Autocomplete never worked for me in Protean either.

@Xaron: I never could get SourceEdit to jump to the place where an error occurrs. Have you figured that out?

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#9]
UltraEdit is my fave editor for Blitz3D/+ and most other stuff (not BlitzMax yet tho - will probably need a 3rd party debugger).

Nicstt(Posted 2005) [#10]
stopped using them

blide worked slowly for me, otherwise would have liked it.

Shifty Geezer(Posted 2005) [#11]
Protean's a very nice IDE, giving a professional feel to development. But as Peter Scheutz says, it's receiving no development.

That said it works very nicely for me and I find it the best of the bunch.

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#12]
I use IndeED. It has some annoying quirks here and there, but I like the ide.

Why is a BlitzMax question on Blitz3D section? I heard that Protean is also using Max now. I'm not sure.

Reread the question. There is a BlitzMax answer in the B3d section.

Hujiklo(Posted 2005) [#13]
I use Brain editor Pro. Why? Because I bought it.
I wish I hadn't though - it is useless. Crashes, deletes files sometimes and doesn't work well with blitz debugger - it simply says it's starting and then refuses to start the BB with no feedback. It's supposed to do a lot of stuff it doesn't and it's a bitch to set up if your Blitz isn't in 'Program files' dir on c:.

I'm telling you so you don't buy it!

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#14]
Protean. There are two older versions other than the latest available for registered users, in case you are not able to live with the current version. Which is not dead, just in hibernation.