Maximum number of vertexes

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Maximum number of vertexes

PowerPC603(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi,

Is there a certain maximum of vertexes per surface that Blitz can handle?

I created a mazegenerator, which produces a random maze and writes it to a bmp-file (2D top-down view of the maze).
After that, the MazeConverter reads that bmp-file and produces the Maze3D structure-code.
Then finally Maze3D reads that code and generates a 3D maze, based on that code, in which you can run around (ground and walls are textured).

A maze of size 50x50 works fine, but a maze of size 150x150 produces the error "Memory Access Violation" in Maze3D.
The 3D model of the maze is only 1 model (one surface).

ashmantle(Posted 2005) [#2]
DirectX7 has a vertex limit of ~65.000 i believe.. don't quote me on it though.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#3]
I think there's 32000 Triangles limit. (Discussed this recently) Probably 64k Vertices, but you'll be on the save side when you use 32000 only. Simply use multiple surfaces. I think you can have up to 32000 Surfaces.

PowerPC603(Posted 2005) [#4]
If anyone wants to try the package, you can get it here:

http://users.pandora.be/vge/downloads/MazePack.zip

Put the executables where you want them (all in one directory, together with the textures).

Run MazeGenerator.exe and input the maze-size (square maze), this creates the file Maze.bmp. For a size of 20x20, input "20" (without the "").

Then run MazeConverter.exe, which reads the Maze.bmp file and produces the Maze.dat file.

Then run Maze3D.exe.

Movement: mouse for looking, arrow-keys for moving forward, backward strafing left and right.

To cheat: press Z or S to go up or down in the air (you can see the maze overview that way), gravity must be OFF.
Pressing space toggles gravity on/off (it's ON by default).

Try a maze of size 50x50 and try to find your way out via Maze3D.
Have fun.

You can also replace the textures if you want.
If you want the source-code for those exe's, let me know and I'll share them.

ozak(Posted 2005) [#5]
This works well: http://www.blitzcoder.com/cgi-bin/showcase/showcase_showentry.pl?id=batfink03292004162042&comments=no

PowerPC603(Posted 2005) [#6]
I'm planning to make Maze3D into a FPS and then replace the maze with an actual level.

I needed some level to begin with.
Now I could add weapons, ammo, health, monsters and other stuff to it.
But that's also beyond my current abilities.
I haven't created anything that big before (if any game at all).

PowerPC603(Posted 2005) [#7]
I've just created a maze of size 60x60, which contains about 49.000 triangles (according to TrisRendered), so the upper limit per surface must be around 65.000 tris, because when I create a maze of size 62x62, it crashes.

I don't know how many vertexes there are (I'm not going to count them manually).

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#8]
As I said some cards crash with >32k Tris. EG mine, a lowcost Radeon 9200se that is a common card in family PCs.

ashmantle(Posted 2005) [#9]
I think vertices is the right word when referring to many verticies ^^