Should I manually paint these objects?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Should I manually paint these objects?

Shifty Geezer(Posted 2005) [#1]
I've just tested my ODE program on < target hardware (233 MHz K6, 32 mb Vanta). I noticed with 5 objects the frame rate dropped, but no moreso with 10 objects.

Objects consists of boxes and spheres.

What I'm wondering is if there's any advantage to me manually texturing my objects with brushes. With talk of optimal vertex per surface counts and stuff I don't know if there's any advantage to be had.

Every object is textured with 2 textures. There are no light sources in the program other than ambient at 255,255,255. Objects are very simple and a worst case situation will have only a few thousand triangles on screen at once.

I tried the program without any textures applied and it still showed the same minor slowdown with 5+ objects, suggesting an ODE bottleneck. My concern is how inferior GPU hardware will cope and if using manual surfaces and brushes will have any effect on small numbers of items with lots of textures.

Rhyolite(Posted 2005) [#2]
I think you are just seeing the initial 'large' slowdown of drawing 'anything' on screen? Try making a simple program that draws the same five primitives (boxes and spheres) on screen but without ODE. I bet frame rates will be similar (although maybe just a little higher withour ODE, but not much I bet unless you are really hammering ODE).

Rhy :)