Wings 3D tutorials

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Wings 3D tutorials

Nicstt(Posted 2005) [#1]
link for wings 3d tutorials, only just downloaded it, but looks interesting.

http://www.geocities.com/paulthepuzzles/aardvarks.html

Anyone use wings got any opinions on its ease of use and effectiveness?

VIP3R(Posted 2005) [#2]
I use it and thoroughly recommend it too.

Very easy to use, even for a novice 3D modeller (like me). I get results much faster with this compared to Quill3D and it's free.

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#3]
Is it right that you can't texture within in Wings3D - that you have to use another program?

big10p(Posted 2005) [#4]
Wings3D has unwrapping tools but I prefer - like many - to leave this task to Ultimate Unwrap.

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#5]
I'm not talking about unwrapping, which is an antiquated/tedious/innaccurate method anyway.

Sorry to be a spoil-sport - I prefer it to be in the modeller, where I can see it.

If Decorator can do it, and the author gives it away for free (cheers, mate!), not to mention all the other modellers that can......

big10p(Posted 2005) [#6]
I'm not talking about unwrapping, which is an antiquated/tedious/innaccurate method anyway.

Then, what are you talking about?

Sorry to be a spoil-sport - I prefer it to be in the modeller, where I can see it.

Where you can see what, exactly? I'm getting mildly confused. :P

Nicstt(Posted 2005) [#7]
doesnt look like wings can texture, dont see anything to indicate textures anyway

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#8]
I love Wings3d. It's a fantastic modeller!

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#9]
"doesnt look like wings can texture, dont see anything to indicate textures anyway"

Thanks Nicoust - sort of sums it up.

Pongo(Posted 2005) [#10]
Wings can use textures, but it involves a bit to set up.

first, your model will need UV coordinates, if you do not have these, the texture will not show up. You can either add these in another program, or you can use the wings UV unwrapper. (select faces, right click,... UV mapper on the bottom) If you go through the steps to UV map a mesh, you will then have a bitmap you can modify.

Method 2 requires the UV's to already be set up. Also you can use this to change to a different texture map... load an image as an image plane, then delete the image plane. (This will set up the material for you, which will stay in the scene) Now select the faces you need textured, and right click to select the new texture material. You can rename and delete this texture in the outliner.

Kind of a pain, but it does work.

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#11]
Pongo, very kind of you to outline what would need to be done, but I think this kind of underlines the point.

Nicstt(Posted 2005) [#12]
yeh its a pain shame really, the modelling part is extremely good (from my limited experience).

Pongo(Posted 2005) [#13]
I was just showing that it could be done.

Indeed, Wings is extremely good, and it is my favorite modeller, but I only use it for models. The texture stuff is better left to other programs at the moment.

It is nice, however, to be able to display textures on your models, and I know that a lot of people would never realise you could actually do this in wings.

edit:
found this link which may help as well. (A tutorial on texturing in wings)
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/HowTo:Texture_in_Wings3d