Texturing Help

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Texturing Help

Uncle(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi,

Its a shame the search function doesn't work here anymore as Im sure this question has been answered a lot.

Is it possible to multitexture a entity, but using a couple of entity fxs? Imagine that I have a nice space craft model. I would like the cockpit glass to be spherical mapped to give a nice shiny apperance, I would like the main hull to be not so shiny using the normal texture, and final I would like the engine glow to be full bright.

Does anyone have an example of this, or can someone help me out by pointing me in the right direction?

Cheers,

Unc

Rhyolite(Posted 2005) [#2]
Off the top of my head, Blitz supports multitexturing - use the texture 'index' number of whatever it is called to assign which layer the texture goes too.

Proabaly best to load each texture into a blitz 'Brush' then set its FX properties using the other brush commands then apply the brush to the model (specifiying which texture layer somewhere in all that - sorry, cant remember the commands off hand).

You must apply the same FX to each brush/texture, so you may need three textures for your model. This might also mean you need to split the model into several surfaces or meshes so you can apply the correct texture to each location.

Rhy :)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#3]
what you need has nothing to do with multitextureing, but as Rhy said, you need a mesh made of multiple Surfaces. Then you can define a brush for each surface individually, and each brush may have it's special settings for texture, texture-flags, fx etc.

Uncle(Posted 2005) [#4]
Thanks for your help guys, its really appreciated. I guess that where I was getting stuck. I was trying to use the multiple textures.

Now the problem is how do I create a model with mutliple surfaces (sorry for being a bit dim on this).

I have made my model and it is one complete mesh but a 800 tris. Do I need to create a seperate mesh for the cockpit and the engines, and just use an entity parent to keep them together? This seems like I would have extra faces to render.

Or can I import my model in say Ultimate unwrap and name the faces that B3D would recognise, and then just paintbrush surface? <--- I may be dreaming that I can do this.

Thanks,

Unc

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#5]
I think it depends on the modeling tool you are using. EG. 3DS Max: there you would create say 3 primitives and apply an individual material to each one of them. If you save these 3 mesh objects as one .3ds File, the 3 objects will become 3 surfaces in blitz if you load it with the LoadMesh Command. (Loading it with the LoadAnimMesh Command will force Blitz to create a child out of every object, so this is probably easier to re-texture with eg. Spheremapping)

If you want to use this existing one-object mesh, you maybe need to clone it several times using your modeling app and remove the triangles of each clone that are not part of a certain object you want to separate. Some Modelers also feature a "Separate selected Faces" Function.
But you surely can save these mutliple objects in one File.

Uncle(Posted 2005) [#6]
Thanks JFK. I think I understand how to do it. I will have a play around tonight to see if I can get it working.

Thanks again,

Unc

Naughty Alien(Posted 2005) [#7]
to be sure that everything will be in order from 3DSMAX, try to make hierarchy and link object to the same root, so you can be 100% sure that everything will goes smothly inside Blitz3D since MAX will define root as world scene, but sometimes I find it hard to control inside blitz, but with linking, its working perfect...

Uncle(Posted 2005) [#8]
Unfortunately Im not a lucky owner of 3D max - its a bit out of my budget ;)

Thanks anyway Naughty Alien.

Cheers,

Unc