Rotating animated meshes

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Rotating animated meshes

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#1]
I cant find out how to rotate an animated mesh 180 degrees in any of these programs,CharacterFX ,Ultimate Unwrap

The bones always end up in the wrong position or dont rotate with the mesh, so the animations are always messed up.
Can anyone help?

ozak(Posted 2005) [#2]
Can't you just rotate them in the code?

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#3]
Neither of those programs are modelling programs which could explain why you cannot rotate the model in them. You should either use a modelling tool, or cycle through the anim meshes children and rotate each mesh.

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#4]
I could use code for everything but I hoped there was an easy way of doing it in CHaracterFX

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#5]
Remember and use the RotateMesh command in blitz

Bolo_Loco(Posted 2005) [#6]
Try this with Ultimate Unwrap:

- Load your model

- save as Directx and click in the export Dialog
Flip handedness

- load the directx model and save as b3d.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2005) [#7]
Its much better to perform all mesh rotations/translations before creating any animation, however you can rotate an animated mesh if you modify the rotation values and the animation keys for the ROOT node by the same rotation.
E.g if you rotate the mesh 180 on the Y axis you have to perform the same operation on the original rotation value of the root joint and every animation key of the root joint as well.
If you don't then the animation will still act as if the model was facing in the original direction.
In an animated mesh it is the root node thats acts as the 'parent' of the mesh. The root node controls the rotation and translation of the entire mesh while the individual joints control the vertex which are assigned to them.