Texture compressing with dx7test.dll

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Texture compressing with dx7test.dll

Barton(Posted 2005) [#1]
has somebody an example of me, which shows the Textures like one can load? (with Texture compressing)

Thanks

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#2]
I wasn't aware of any .dll that allowed this :o)

Barton(Posted 2005) [#3]
I know the dx7test.dll knows this. :)

doesn't load but goes to use texture compression.

Tom(Posted 2005) [#4]
Unfortunately it doesn't work well on Ati cards, it's a direct copy of some DX7 SDK code too.

If I remember correctly, loading then compressing seemed to work ok on Ati, but there's a slight delay doing it that way.

Maybe if Marks in a good mood some time he'll have a go at adding it natively (plz plz plz) :)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#5]
*elbow nudges Mark* Ey Ey? :) ;) ;)

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#6]
would make a huge difference to the quality of the games. At the moment were maxed out in our game and have had to rely more on polys and a large lightmap to hide the lack of texture detail. Most people are still targeting 32mb Geforce 2's, and 32mb disappears pretty quick if you don't have texture compression.

Tom(Posted 2005) [#7]
From my tests, the vidmem savings were goooooooood!

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#8]

Most people are still targeting 32mb Geforce 2's, and 32mb disappears pretty quick if you don't have texture compression.

We know that all too well. Need a word about that actually :/

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#9]

From my tests, the vidmem savings were goooooooood!

Yup - huge. I posted formulas while ago so that everyone can see how good DXTC would be. Search is broken so I can't find that post now... and I seriously doubt if that would make any difference to Mark anymore. I have begged it for so long and with such good facts - and still no DXTC. I'm almost sure that it will never come, he's so "Maxed out" now... shame really because Blitz3D is in many ways so much better product than BMAX (in it's current form) :/

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#10]
I was planning on making DXTC optional in my games. Such as, if it works, enable it and have higher res textures, if it doesnt, sorry you'll have to use lower res texture! Better than not using them at all. But now, i dont think i have a problem with texture memory so i wont use it for my current project. I dont see why you guys dont make it optional like that. If need be, make a 'test app' that users can download to see if the DXTC works or not for them if you think it will make a crucial difference in the game gfx.

ozak(Posted 2005) [#11]
Another option could be to scale textures on load via. some sort of texture quality option. That way people with lower mb cards can play the game with reduced texture quality. Much like quake3/doom3.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#12]
The system I use for this is to have a "master" copy of each texture. When the texture config changes, run a program that grabs these "master" textures,resize them, and place them in the location the game loads from :)

Works well but is slow so dont expect to do it realtime :)

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#13]
Why would you do a thing like that? Just include one texture file (eg: "texture.bmp") at size 512x512, another at 256x256 and lowest detail at 128x128. Or just two different sizes. Then just load various ones depending on available video memory and/or users options. If download size is a problem, well then what can i say, if a user doesnt have enough money to get something better than 56k, he wont have a hell of a GFX card either so you can make a low res texture only download. I doubt that would decrease download size dramatically.