How do I attach my ragdoll system to a .b3d model

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/How do I attach my ragdoll system to a .b3d model

Nexus6(Posted 2005) [#1]
OK,I've managed to create a verlet integrater/constraint system, but now I want to add a model to it rather than just cubes.
Can I just attach a human model to my constraints or does the model have to be a hierarchial model or boned or whatever?

Thanks to everyone who has helped me get this far.

Paul

markcw(Posted 2005) [#2]
what do you mean by "a human model"?

do you mean a pre-designed humanoid
bone system that any humanoid models
could then be rigged up to?

if you currently have cubes, then just replace
them with hierarchy parts or, what sounds a
lot harder, b3d bones, since you would
then have to attach groups of vertices.

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#3]
I believe if you have a boned model you can manipulate the bones directly from within B3D. So you will need to orient the bones to match the angles of the limbs of your ragdoll.

Presumably your ragdoll has a vertex at each joint position? If so, you can work out the orientation that would be required for a limb positioned at (for example) the shoulder vertex to point towards the elbow vertex. Repeat this for all limbs and the boned model should follow your ragdoll's shape.

Nexus6(Posted 2005) [#4]
Thanks Guys, the hierarchy method sounds a lot simpler but I know the resulting model will show joints compared to a boned system which will bend. Because this is the first thing I have ever wrote in Blitz3d, I think I will stick to hierarchy untill I feel a bit more confident. (thanks for the info Vorderman, I'll print this off for future ref)

a = 2005
b = rnd(0,5)
c = a+b
Print "WATCH THIS SPACE FOR THE AMAZING RAGDOLL EDITOR, DUE " + c
WaitKey()

Paul