Vertex Alpha?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Vertex Alpha?

Black Hydra(Posted 2005) [#1]
I noticed that all the Blitz commands support Red, Green and Blue values for vertex colors, but can I alter a Vertex Alpha?

I had a somewhat unusual idea for a volumetric cloud effect by altering the alpha of individual vertices depending on the relative depth of the mesh along an extrapolated line through the vertex from the camera.

But if I can't even edit the Alpha level of individual vertices, I don't know how it would work.

Does anyone have any ideas? If I can also run a texture overtop of this Alpha alterations I don't even HAVE to have the other colors accessble, so is there a way I might be able to 'greyscale' the colors to produce some sort of opacity map.

The clouds have to have their transparency altered in realtime so being able to control the transparency of individual vertices is critical.

I'd hate to hit a brick wall on this idea because of a stupid feature limitation...

Black Hydra(Posted 2005) [#2]
What!? I guess my included help files don't contain all the functions that are listed. A simple check of the online manual reveals indeed a 4th optional alpha parameter of VertexAlpha.

I guess I'll make sure to check both manuals for things that mine might be missing before asking for help.... sheesh!

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#3]
Online manual is the most up-to-date manual... docpaks (help files) are updated from time to time, but are lagging behind usually.