Blitz3D and 3DS Max export

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Blitz3D and 3DS Max export

ashmantle(Posted 2005) [#1]
Greetings everyone!

I am in need of a plugin for Max or a converter for Blitz3D that will let me use Max models, rigged with skin modifier and animated with Character Studio...

Any free or purchaseable alternatives out there?

I recently purchased Max 7.0 so money really isn't an issue ^^

I am going to spend some time honing my game graphics skills :)

Thank you in advance!

@rtur(Posted 2005) [#2]
B3dPipeline

ashmantle(Posted 2005) [#3]
Looks very interesting.. I only see mentions of max 5.1 and a max 6 patch, so does it still work anymore with newer versions of max?

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#4]
Looks very interesting.. I only see mentions of max 5.1 and a max 6 patch, so does it still work anymore with newer versions of max?

I haven't tried it yet, but I've been told it doesn't work with Max7. I'm not sure if it works with skin either, I think it preferred Physique. Try Ultimate Unwrap. That's what I use. It comes with an exporter to export U3d from Max and then you convert to B3d in Ultimate Unwrap. It's not as direct, but you lose nothing in the conversion as all data is exported ( normals, vertex colors, everything )

ashmantle(Posted 2005) [#5]
I own a copy of Ultimate Unwrap 3D, but I thought that only exported the mesh and not the animations?

Anyway, I tried it once, and it left me with a whole bunch of weird polygon groups..

Will try it again though..

thank you for the suggestions!

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#6]
B3d pipeline works with max 7.1 no problem, as well as Skin and biped. Max 6 plugins are compatible with max 7 so mno problem there. And it's a LOT more reliable than ultimate unwrap. If it wasn't for b3d pipeline Iprobably would have stopped using blitz3D a long time ago.

Currently making b3d pipeline compatible with another popular engine, it's that good. Better than most commercial engine exporters for engines costing 10's of thousands.

In my opinion, if your using 3dsmax you shouldn't be using anything else. There are simply too many benefits that aid both the coder and artist in all areas of game development, including gameplay.

ashmantle(Posted 2005) [#7]
I see..

Thank you all for your advice!

I didn't notice if B3D Pipeline was free or not on their site though.. not a mention of price anywhere..

Anyway, Im going to have a blast this summer :)

Thanks again!

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#8]
yeah it's free :)

ashmantle(Posted 2005) [#9]
No doubt about it!

B3DPipeline is awesome! it exported my meshes and animations with no problems at all!