FPSNet Problem

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/FPSNet Problem

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#1]
When the host quits and a client becomes the new host, new clients cannot logon anymore. The login screen just waits forever. Is this a known bug? I really need to fix this.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2005) [#2]
Could it be because when the game started the original hosts IP address is the one that is registered with GNet - I don't think from what I recall of the FPSNet code that when the Host is switched over the Gnet Server is updated -It should still be possible however to bypass Gnet and join using just the new Host's IP address or simply refesh the Gnet server with the new host's IP.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#3]
well it's all on localhost. Gnet only prevents an IP from running multiple hosts. I already edited that so I was able to run two parallel games on one desktop. I think this isn't the problem. Or do you think it works when Host and clients are not the same IP ?

Ricky Smith(Posted 2005) [#4]
I don't think it matters that host and client are the same IP. Looking at the FPSNet code it seems that when the original host drops out and another machine becomes the host it does refreshes Gnet with the new game info and it takes over the hosting functions as far as the actual code goes but it does not actually initiate a new session of Direct Play with a "StartNetGame" or "Host NetGame" as this would start a "new" game. I assume DirectPlay switches the host automatically. I can't see why it shouldn't work - maybe some DirectPlay issue ?.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#5]
thanks. I guess I got to test this on multiple machines.

well, I rather tend to use BlitzPlay anyway, since it's using UDP, instead of DirectPlay and TCP.