BF1942 type game

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/BF1942 type game

Chroma(Posted 2005) [#1]
Anyone interested in co-authoring a battlefield 1942 type game? If you are send an email to chroma_72@.... I'd like to get about 2-3 people on board to get this going. If you can model and textures that's a plus but not required at this stage.

Some things we'll be working on first:
1. basic mouselook code
2. multiplayer
3. skyboxes
4. terrain
5. water
6. desiging a test map

We'll be doing this in a modular format but in a manner that is agreed on by all. If this type of thing is something you'd be willing to work on for a few months then please get with me.

Thanks.

John J.(Posted 2005) [#2]
I'm actually working on a project just like this currently, except my game only supports combat by vehicles and aircraft, and I don't plan on including multiplayer.

Here's my worklog, if you're interested.

Chroma(Posted 2005) [#3]
Sounds cool man. I'm looking at doing the traditional 2 bases on a map and each team trying to take the other one over. I plan on having aircraft, vehicles, and infantry types.

I got to sort thru my AW1946 stuff last night. Gonna take me a week just to sift through it. :(

But I wanna do lots of screenshots and tech demos this time around.

John J.(Posted 2005) [#4]
I'd like to help with this project, but I'm busy with my own. Still, maybe my modules would be of some use to you.

My BlitzXML module is useful for loading and saving levels and configuration data in a structured, readible, editable form. I use it for all loading and saving in my game.

My TreeSystem 2.0 hasn't been released yet, but it is a fast way of displaying prop-style trees (30,000+), and I use this for forests in my game.

BTW, what ever happened to "Air War 1946"?

Good luck :)

Chroma(Posted 2005) [#5]
Well I was going strong with AW1946 in late 2003. And then I tried to code some flight physics and I was stuck on that for about 3 months. It took it's toll and eventually I started slacking. Then decided to finish my degree. I've attempted to pick the gauntlet back up and finish it but keep getting side-tracked. My interest is growing again and I've recently put all the aw46 code in a folder so I can go through it all. It's just gonna take a little while to sort through it and put something together.

Gonna check out your xml module. Sounds very cool.

GfK(Posted 2005) [#6]
Sorry, I'm already working on my Scouse version; Bootlefield 1992.

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#7]
Gfk, you're a scouser!

How come you didn't turn up to our NorthWest meet last year?

GfK(Posted 2005) [#8]
Gfk, you're a scouser!

How come you didn't turn up to our NorthWest meet last year?
Um, cos I'm originally from Barnsley and now I live in Notts. :)

Chroma(Posted 2005) [#9]
Another one for the bargain bins eh GfK? ;)

GfK(Posted 2005) [#10]
Another one for the bargain bins eh GfK?
There's money in the bargain bin industry. Don't knock it til you've tried it. :)