Blitz lighting

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Blitz lighting

Paulo(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi all,

One of the first things I did with B3D was to load up one of my old Quake3 BSP's. Of course I was delighted to see that the point lights I had placed all worked, I wasn't expecting the surface lighting to work because it relied on scripts.

My question is, the point lighting that I see in my BSP has been "lit" by Q3MAP during the BSP compiling stage - so am I wrong in thinking that I cannot reproduce this with createlight()? My experiments don't seem to work out as I expect, but then again, messing with Light angles, positions, cone angles, etc in blitz code is something I don't have a lot of patience for.

Cheers,
Paulo

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#2]
It sounds like your wanting to use a lightmap (static lighting) for your map?

Paulo(Posted 2005) [#3]
Hi Ross,

Well it doesn't have to be static, (though I appreciate Q3 lightmaps are) dynamic is preferred. I guess what I am after is will a blitz light, duplicate what a standard point light can do in a BSP. So say I removed all my Q3 lighting in the BSP and manually lit it with createlight(), can the same results be acheived? It would seem difficult to achieve here.

Thanks for your time,
Paulo

Rhyolite(Posted 2005) [#4]
Blitz lights do not produce shadows, perhaps that is the problem (i am not familiar with Q3 lighting).

Rhy