Extract Media From Exe

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Extract Media From Exe

KuRiX(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi people. Does anyone know a program to extract media that is packed with the exe? (Supposing it is not encrypted).

This is not to copy any media from registered exe. It is from an old exe i made using dark basic pro with the option to pack all media with the exe. I don't have now the media, only the exe...

Any help?

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#2]
Hmm. You could search the file for the headers of files you need?

for instance, to find a midi file, look for "MHTd" (i think?). I'm not sure how you'd find the names though.

Theres bound to be a better way :)

KuRiX(Posted 2005) [#3]
Mmm, thinking more of it, i exported the media from max to .x so perhaps the .x file is not what i need.

Anyway it would be great to rocover my mp3's and .x files!

D4NM4N(Posted 2005) [#4]
you could look for a prog called resourcehacker, i use it to change the blitz rocket icon, but im not sure if you can save out other resources (mabe)

KuRiX(Posted 2005) [#5]
I tried it. But nothing...

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#6]
ResHacker will only work on 'standard' Windows resource-included files, i.e. the MS standard for including icons, bmps, etc.

But it's also worth tracking down the Borland 'Workshop' (16-bit) program - sometimes this can extract things that ResHacker can't.

Somehow I think DB will have their own way of compiling exes/data. Your only hope might be to use a Hex editor, track down the data, lassoo it, and export it.

Mind you, now I've thought about it, I'm sure bmps have a special header (at the head of the disk-file) - I'm not sure if this is preserved once a bmp is loaded into memory.

Wings(Posted 2005) [#7]
The tool used on blitz basic to create stanalone exe dose default compress files. so u cant cut it out with a simple hex editor. :(