Would blitz be able to handle this joystick?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Would blitz be able to handle this joystick?

fall_x(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi,

I created a blitz program that allows me to map joystick movements to midi messages, which I use to control my music software. For the moment I'm using a ps2-style controller, but a controller like this :

http://www.saitek.com/row/prod/x52.htm

seems to have more options. But can blitz's joystick command set handle everything you can do with it? I never bought a flight-style-joystick and idon't know how it works, are those two components (joystick and throttle unit) treated as seperate joysticks (ie, you have to specify a port in blitz for them) or not?

Thanks in advance.

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#2]
Check all the joy* commands in this page:

http://www.blitzbasic.co.nz/b3ddocs/command_list_2d_cat.php?show=Input

fall_x(Posted 2005) [#3]
Yeah I know... but I don't own that joystick so I can't test if they are enough to work with everything a joystick like this can do. So I was wondering if anyone else has a joystick like this, and knows.

WendellM(Posted 2005) [#4]
Wow, that's an impressive-looking stick & throttle! Not that expensive, either.

Rhyolite(Posted 2005) [#5]
Just guessing, but looks like that joystick will also 'take over' the mouse - so you will be using Blitz MOUSE commands as well as joystick. I also imagine it might be represented as multiple joysticks so you might need to specify Joy(1) and Joy(2) etc, although a single joystick can handle pitch, roll, yaw (rudder) and throttle. Lastly, it looks like it uses programmable buttons, so your blitz program will need to check for KEYHIT (or keydown) as well. I imagine that you will be able to get at most of the joystick functions since it needs to use standard conventions to be recognised in games anyway. However, dont sue me if you can't ;)

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#6]
I have a friend who has one of these and yes, it can function as the mouse as well.

ryan scott(Posted 2005) [#7]
sorry i don't have one but have a saitek p880 which has a joypad and 2 joysticks. i had to use joyroll and other commands i didn't expect, and various directions return either -1 to 1 or -128 to 128, also unexpected, but i did get it to work with both joysticks at once. it was all within the 1st joystick commands like joyx(1), i mean.

i'm sure with that stick you'll use joystick 1 and 2, i can't imagine you can do it all with just 1