TGA's and masking

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/TGA's and masking

MadJack(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi all, just a couple of general questions.

Been building a HUD for a small commercial project I'm doing using Sswift's GUI codebase - (which uses overlying textured quads I believe).

To avoid blurry buttons (due to Blitz's heavy mipmapping), I've been loading the textures with textureflags cleared, but blurring the image in Photoshop beforehand to get just the right level of smoothness on screen.

To avoid jaggy color masks around buttons, I've been using TGA's with feathered alpha masks.

My questions are:

Is the above the best way to get nice looking masked images on screen?

Is the level of mipmapping the same on all systems? Or will my preblurred images look too blurry on other systems?

Are TGA's the best or only format in which to save images & masks?

and finally...

I wonder if Shawn would be amenable to adding a flag to his GUI code that formats multi-line text as being centre aligned on itself?

e.g. (ignoring the '.')

..line one here
....line two
...line three

MadJack(Posted 2005) [#2]
ok - now I see that I can use PNG's for alpha masked images and they give a smaller file size.

I also see that for small button images (256x128) it's best to turn off mipmapping and blur the image in photoshop to get the right sharpness/fuzziness balance.

Larger images can be left unblurred and mipmapped.

Mr.Waterlily(Posted 2005) [#3]
You can save TGAs with RLE compression that can reduce the file size. Pictures with large fields of the same color will be probably benefit from this alot.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#4]
PNGs are the only image format I use-
cross platform (tick)
lossless compression (tick)
supports alpha (tick)