Gui's?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Gui's?

fall_x(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi,

I need a GUi for my game. But creating one is a lot of work (I'm sure that I could do it as I've already made some simple message boxes and drop down lists), but I'd rather spend my time on things more game-related.

Any suggestions on a good GUI library? I quite like the 3rd demo on this link (french site) : http://www.blitz3dfr.com/phpfrench/content.php?content.23

I also tried NGUI (Night GUI), which was very good but seemed to be a bit slow and the text inputs behaved a bit strange.

I don't know... Any suggestions?

KuRiX(Posted 2005) [#2]
Well, BCF (the one you linked) is a good BCF. I bought it not long ago. The problem is that has some limitations that i needed to solve myself, and gets slow too.

You have the free BlitzUI, great editor and fast, but it is better for applications rather than games.

ToolUI is based on single surface system, so is fast if you want to use it in your 3D game at the same time as other 3D things...

Naughty Alien(Posted 2005) [#3]
BlitzUI is my suggestion too..pretty fast..I use to finish few commercial projects with it..

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#4]
Have you checked all these:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/toolbox/toolbox.php?cat=14

fall_x(Posted 2005) [#5]
Yes I have and I find it hard to decide.
BlitzUI looks nice but you can't change the graphics, can you?
I have ordered BCF, I hope it doesn't disappoint.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#6]
BlitzUI can be changed...you can even write your own skins. I HIGHLY reccommend it over BCF - BlitzUI is SOOOO much better.

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#7]
BlitzUI is a very nice thing.
By the way, it can probably be sped up a bit by changing all the sendMessage strings (such as "LM_EDITTEXT") into constants. It can't be that hard :D

LineOf7s(Posted 2005) [#8]
No Enemies:

I've been looking at the GUIs available, and being able to customise them seems to be a rare feature indeed. I didn't think BlitzUI offered the ability to do that, apart from changing colour schemes. Could you detail the "you can even write your own skins" bit a lil more please?

Sorry to hijack, but apart from the aforementioned belief in a lack of customisability, BlitzUI certainly seems to be the one favoured by the vocal section of Blitz community.

EPS(Posted 2005) [#9]
Hi

if u are able to read and understand the german language come to this website and try out my gui:

http://escape.east-power-soft.de

Naughty Alien(Posted 2005) [#10]
well..depending what you need..but as I can see..BCF at some point couse slowdown, while BlitzUI never show this behaviour..anyway, for aplications from my point of view BlitzUI is more than good..and for games I suggest something else (except you wanna make something like Half Life 2 menu system, then BlitzUI can be option)...

Rob Buckley(Posted 2005) [#11]
Well for simply great style I recommend ngui. Nobody talks about this, but it looks great.

http://www.vulturecreations.fr.st/datafiles/Ngui/Ngui.htm

fall_x(Posted 2005) [#12]
Hmmm... Most of these gui's seem to have some kind of scrollbar, but apparantly they don't have a scrollable container. I would like to be able to scroll the contents of a panel or something. I could be wrong, but bcf doesn't seem to support this.
Does anyone know if fui or any others support this?

Thanks.

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#13]
I afraid I have to vote for BlitzUi too.
I've done a lot of work with it recently.
I needed to give my app a 'Windows' look, and BlitzUi was just the ticket.

It's designer program is very nice.
The help files are a bit brief, but you can of course open the BlitzUi programs themselves and look at how the author made them work!
There is also a color-sceme type program for changing the look of it.

BlitzUi has done everything I've needed, and it's free!

A final thought, if I'm not mistaken FUI is written by the same author and is the successor to BlitzUi, so worth checking out.

fall_x(Posted 2005) [#14]
That "Escape"-gui that East-Power-Soft posted looks very good, and very complete... selecting and copy-pasting text, tab stops (!), password fields, etc... But most importantly, markup of the text inside a label, you can have parts bold etc.
If only it had scrollabal panels, it would probably be ideal for me. But I might be able to add this myself.
Otherwise I'll probably have to write my own gui after all :(

fall_x(Posted 2005) [#15]
Ok, the author just sent me a files that shows that it is possible to scroll labels, so this library seems perfect to me.
I highly recommend it. Too bad the manual is not in English, but i do happen to understand German a bit, so for me that's not a big problem.

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#16]
Well one of you could translate it then??? Or if you asked RaGR really nice maybe he could.

fall_x(Posted 2005) [#17]
Well, I might translate it, if I find the time, but they are working on a new version which will be incompatible with the current one (but better, probably), so I would wait for that version to arive.
But the most important factor is time. With work, being a father, and working on some projects at once, it's hard to find any.