Debugger request

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Debugger request

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#1]
This used to exist and doesn't now... so what the heck :D
Not that it'll be replied to by Mark himself... but maybe someone magically solved my problem in the last little while?

I would really really like it if I could have the debugger leave a log in the IDE so if my program totally kills itself and the debugger, I can still read the log, and if I could save and copy & paste from the debug log. Now, I perfectly understand what the code can't be copied and pasted, but that and the debug log are two very different things.

Storm8191(Posted 2005) [#2]
Hmm, did you just update from before 1.80-ish to after 1.80-ish? In one of the Blitz3D updates, Mark pulled the debugger away from the IDE. This was actually done to allow other IDEs to be made, and handle deubgging feedback.

You've got a few options to overcome this. You could first, instead of writing to the debuglog, set up a file to write to, so you can look at that when your program finishes. Secondly, you can try downloading one of the external IDE's. There's a few good ones out there with alot of features.

A third option is if you made your own sort of debug feedback program. You can use UDP messages to pass messages to your feedback program, through address 127.0.0.1 (thus passing messages only through your own PC). You can then write a function to replace your DebugLog command, that sends the message. To get this all set up, you could call a startup function, which calls an ExecFile command (I think that's the command) to run your feedback exe. You can specify port numbers and anything else through parameters as you start your program, using CommandLine$() to retrieve that data from within your feedback program. Response times should be fast because it's local UDP.

Maybe that's a bit much to consider, but it's an idea. Would anyone here think it'd be worth using? I could try coding something like it myself - just something basic to start with.

Xaron(Posted 2005) [#3]
Or just you enter "-d" to the command line (Program->Program Command Line...) without the "
This will start the debugger.

Regards - Xaron