scanlines?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/scanlines?

D4NM4N(Posted 2005) [#1]
ill probably get moaned at for posting it here, but this is probably the forum thats most read.

Scanlines. I may be the only one, but i think scanline spaced graphics look cool and TV-ish for intro sequences. They aso add a kind of pre-rendered feel. (A bit like the old EIDOS intros). I need some opinions on this, are there others or am i a lone scanophile?

Is there a gfx mode to do it or is it a case of drawing rects before the flip? (there! ive posted a valid programming question :)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#2]
I think they're cool, but only really when used when showing whats on a real camera in game, so to speak (like in MGS).

I know you didnt ask how to, but, here's how i'd do it: If this is 3d it could be done with a texture with alpha, placed on a quad on the screen...
If you simply want every 2nd line to be blank, just use "line".

big10p(Posted 2005) [#3]
I wouldn't use Line, it's very slow.

You might want to alternate blanking odd then even scanlines each frame, for a kind of interlaced look, too.

D4NM4N(Posted 2005) [#4]
its ok, ive already written a routine to line it using rect(faster than line), i just want to know what people think of scanline spaced graphics 4 intros.

Bremer(Posted 2005) [#5]
I have done an intro using interlace like style. It isn't missing every second line, but rather realtime dims them to half brightness.

You can download it from my website here to take a look:

http://www.zac-interactive.dk/demos.htm

[edit] btw. this was done in blitzPlus so no sprites or quad mesh was used. And I have a section with a good number of tutorials for making demolike graphical effects, if you're interested, that you might want to check out as well.

Caff(Posted 2005) [#6]
You can do it with a quad mesh with an alpha-d texture positioned (parented to) the camera, like others here have said. Filax has done this in some of his demos - I tried to recreate it and managed it fairly easily.

Make sure the UV texture scale is low enough to create a large number of lines over the quad (ie. over 1600 texture lines on the quad) so that it looks correct at several resolutions.

If you test zooming the position of the quad away from and towards the camera, you should be able to position it perfectly to get a good looking scan line effect.

Caff(Posted 2005) [#7]
Here's a quick demo I created, if anyone is interested:

Download here

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#8]
Ah, yeah, i meant rect (thats what i use). I dont know why lines so slow.. :/

D4NM4N(Posted 2005) [#9]

Ah, yeah, i meant rect (thats what i use). I dont know why lines so slow.. :/

i figured someone of your caliber would know that LOL :P