Performance question

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Performance question

Jay Kyburz(Posted 2005) [#1]
I am thinking of doing a battle chess like game. I would like to have 32 models of approximately 1000 ploys each visible at all times.

Does anybody have an performance figures of how well blitz would handle this? is 32 or 64k polygons allot to ask.

I would like to target GF2 or similar cards.

Jay Kyburz(Posted 2005) [#2]
or.. here is another question... how many polygons in the sample file makbot\mak_robotic.x.

I've changed the example to render 32 of them

Jay Kyburz(Posted 2005) [#3]
OK.. the robot is 1554 polygons and about (1800 verts).

I will dig out a gf2 later and see how it runs.

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#4]
well, the way I see it you will only have to animate 2 at any given time. and there is no realy need for collisions since the game can run 2D in 3D so I don;t see why not.

GF2 can handle a racing game with about 50,000 polys including 8 cars no problem, so I don't see why the chess wouldn't work.

Crazidemon(Posted 2005) [#5]
My computer can usually handle between 60-80 polys with no slow down, so you should nave no worries.

Rroff(Posted 2005) [#6]
A chess type game would run fine at even fairly low framerates while ideally you want to be running at 30+ if there is no fast motion even 15fps would be acceptable.

Heres some tests I did quick the other day some pretty high poly counts, on a 3gig CPU and a FX5950ultra GPU.

test image 1
test image 2
test image 3
test image 4

I will try running it on my P3 1gig with GF3ti200 later to give a comparison.

I've also been able to render almost 1million tris before at 28fps by reducing the CPU overhead - this test has some fairly heavy weight collision and visual effects occlusion code going on.

EDIT: I tried to make the images links, but I'm not sure what tags if any this forum supports in posts.

Jay Kyburz(Posted 2005) [#7]
great to hear.. thanks for looking into it!

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#8]
EDIT: I tried to make the images links, but I'm not sure what tags if any this forum supports in posts.
What are the forum codes?

Rroff(Posted 2005) [#9]
ah thanks wolron, except for the links they are pretty much like the tags in other forums heh.

OK I just tested a slimed down version of this on my P31gig with gf3ti200, this machine is a mess the OS really needs a reinstall and I had to reinstall DirectX before I could get it to run the test even, however with 77138 tris in view it was holding steady at 37fps.

my main machine 3gig P4, 5950ultra manages 102fps in the same scene.