object and handle cause crashes?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/object and handle cause crashes?

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#1]
My game crashes to desktop randomly with no error messages,
im using object and handle commands in NSPRITE but nowhere else, I was using them in the main program but I got rid of them. THe crashes still happen after about 10 minutes of playing the game.
Has anyone got any experience with this kind of thing to give me a hint of what the problem could be?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#2]
Do you have only limited RAM? Cause I've seen this quit-to-desktop behaviour when I didn't have enough memory for an app that used to call an external DLL, along with the use of the XLnt Gui, that is probably (likely) using handle and object too.
Personally I never use handle nor object, I even tend not to use types - so I never experienced any problems with them.

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#3]
I have 128MB

thing is, I also have another PC with WIndowsXP and 256MB of ram which hardly ever exhibits this behaviour-but still does sometimes.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#4]
I had it with 128 megs, in DrGreen, my video app that uses the XLnt Gui, and used to open multiple Avis using MCI Commands, while saving a futher Avi using the BLitzAvi DLL. When it used to run out of memory, it simply terminated to the desktop, without any error message.
Then I added 512 megs (DDR's pretty cheap these days), didn't happen anymore since then.
Of course, I agree, this is not nice. Tho I have to say this never happened to me before, it may have something to do with the fact that object and handle are undocumented Commands, and BRL explicitely told us they are not officially supported.

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#5]
interesting, I tried to convert NSPRITE to documented commands only but it was too complicated,

So you have never had this problem when you dont use DLL's or XLint??

I wonder what the minimum RAM is for a 3d game involving 300 meshes,
thats 300x300
which is 90000 triangles
270000 vertices
with 810000 x,y,z co-ordinates altogether
how much RAM is that?

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#6]
you also have UV co-ords to store as well, and up to 2 diferent uv sets, plus vertex colours.

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#7]
3240000 bits of information if you square 810000

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#8]
BTW this just happened to me again, now without XLnt, BlitzAvi Dll or even "Object" or "Handle". All I do is using MCISendstring to play an Avi Frame by Frame in Fullscreen mode. It wirks nicely, but when I let it "sit" some minutes, even without to do anything special (running in a mainloop, cls plus drawing an image that was captured from an Avi Frame, plus some Text) all of a sudden the mouse freezes. I then have to press any key to end the app immediately. This is no coding mistake.

It really seems like MCISendstring is making troubles in my case.

EDIT:
oopsie - actually it WAS a coding mistake x_x ... MY mistake.

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#9]
and I think it was my POWER SUPPLY in my case,
As soon as I replaced it the game hasnt crashed since,
My mouse was jitterry before and now its smooth,

maybe the RAM wasnt getting enough power.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#10]

My mouse was jitterry before and now its smooth,
maybe the RAM wasnt getting enough power.

Funny that, i upgraded my motherboard and all this stopped and only then did i notice the mouse was jittery before... Wierd what a PSU problem does isnt it? (mine fried everything slowly :/)

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#11]
just goes to show - never doubt sibly!