Cannot create 3d device.... please help

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Cannot create 3d device.... please help

DH(Posted 2005) [#1]
Went to work today, I have never had an issue with runing blitz on my work pc until now.

All of a sudden I cant use anything using directx 7 3d features.. I ran DXDiag and it tests 7,8, and 9. The 7 gives an out of memory error...

Very odd..

Runing an intel 865g gfx.. never had an issue before..

Any ideas?

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#2]
Check the resolution. Higher resolutions just plain don't work on some onboard gfx chips. Even if you can change your desktop to that. Might be a graphics memory problem. Try using 640x480 16 bit colour and see if that helps.

DH(Posted 2005) [#3]
yeah, i did that too.

Ran DXDiag and it reports no support for directx7 (out of memory error).

Odd thing is I used to be able to do this stuff on this computer (2 days ago).

I emailed Intel support about it. now just playing the 3 month waiting game for a response.

John Pickford(Posted 2005) [#4]
Try rebooting.

DH(Posted 2005) [#5]
lol, everytime I had to reinstall a new driver (to see if older drivers worked) I had to reboot..

But thanks.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#6]
Did you try an older driver for the graphics card?
Or maybe something's wrong in your device manager settings? Or even in the Bios?

Lane(Posted 2005) [#7]
I have has this problem with NetMeetings remote control option turned on. I think (basicly) any other program that hooks the video driver (to capture it's memory) can cause this problem.

Verify that you have turned off remote desktop sharing.

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#8]
Yeah, I can confirm what Lane said.

Netmeeting caused the same effect for me - it had already, in effect, hijacked the 3D card.
Words cannot express how I feel about Microsoft at this point.

I means that when we release anything, we need to issue a warning that Netmeeting should be disabled before running a 3D program.

DH(Posted 2005) [#9]
well, what do you mean by remote desktop sharing?? I need to be able to access my work pc via remote desktop, which is more important that using directx7.. however before now, i have never had an issue going in by remote desktop, and still being able to run dx7 apps at the actual console before..

Lane(Posted 2005) [#10]
The remote desktop client, also named terminal services client,
is not the same as "enable remote desktop sharing" in meeting.
(Thanks so much Microsoft.. for re-using the same app title for different applications.. again. Example - Messenger)

To see if this is it, run netmeeting by - start, run, conf
Under tools "Remote Desktop Sharing".. if enabled, will hook the video card and end up preventing directX
from changing resolutions on the fly which is the most likely reason why you would get "Cannot create 3d device".

Check for other applications that might hook the video card driver, for instance a quick resolution change tool in the system tray.
If you havn't already... run through task manager and kill off all the un-needed processes and retest.
Possibly you can make some headway with a free tool from the SysInternals PSTOOLS collection. Process Explorer might help a lot here. Search to see what applications are utilizing the DirectX Dlls.