CameraPick with ProjectionMode=2

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/CameraPick with ProjectionMode=2

KuRiX(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hey, i cannot pick entities with camerapick when the camera is set as ortographic projection mode.

Is this a limitation or are there any way to do this?

KuRiX(Posted 2005) [#2]
Solved with a very ugly trick.
When picking, change projmode to 1, zoom * 1000, then pick, then restore projmode to 2 and zoom to original value.

Why this? Because CameraPick uses always Perspective projection to pick, so zooming*1000 appears almost as ortographic...

Stevie G(Posted 2005) [#3]
KuRIx,

Ortho camera's are terrible in blitz, I always found that the z-ordering gets really messed up.

As you discovered, it's best is to use a normal camera, position it far from the scene and use a high camerazoom zoom. This produces the same effect as ortho view and it's much less fiddly.

Stevie.

Makepool(Posted 2005) [#4]
I believe I got CameraPick working in ortographic mode but you're right often the Z-buffer can be a little dodgy. I solved this with turning on or off WBuffer, depending on what computer the game was running on.

KuRiX(Posted 2005) [#5]
Thanks for your reply, although disabling WBuffer doesn't allow to pick entities correctly with ortographic mode.

As i suggested before, to pick an entity in this mode, i change (just before the camerapick() command) to perspective mode, then i zoom by 1000.0, pick, then restore original zoom and ortographic mode.

It is not 100% accurate, but it works well. I was having problems with CameraProject() command too. But the same Fake works too...