Mimicced B3d load Command with incremental stuff?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Mimicced B3d load Command with incremental stuff?

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#1]
Has anyone done mimicced b3d loading functions that work incrementally?
IE: It could be used like this:
Local MeshVar,Progress
For b = 0 to Filesize("MyMesh")
MeshVar=LoadMesh(MeshVar,"MyMesh",b)
Progress=Progress+1
Next

Would be great if something like this was added to Blitz officially (openning a few doors), and probably not hard, but I'm not going to plaster "feature request" all over the place here - my feature requests usually turn into embarassments.
So... Has this been done? (Note: It must support either the same or more than the number of file formats supported by b3d or It's Just Not Good Enough).

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#2]
Yep, you mean like streaming the file in? I don't think it would be particulary hard, just reading small bits of the file in, bit at a time, then when the entire file is read in, construct the .b3d from it.

Sledge(Posted 2005) [#3]
The b3d format is detailed in the specs and utils section.

Storm8191(Posted 2005) [#4]
Yeah, you don't have to wait until Blitz Research adds a feature like that. You could code up your own version of it. Like Ross says, just load small parts of the file at a time, and build your mesh piece by piece. I've done a few progressive operation schemes myself, actually. I think the best thing to do is to have all your incremental stuff broken into incremental steps, and loop through your incremental code, selecting the section you'll need to run next. ...I don't know, it's really hard to explain how I did it. But if you do it right, you can use all your spare processing time to handle loading stuff, and not miss a beat of your game.

Andy(Posted 2005) [#5]
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=46103#513419

Something along those lines, except with B3D.

Andy