APOE 0.1 Alpha (Done?)

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/APOE 0.1 Alpha (Done?)

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#1]
Here: http://www.freewebs.com/dmccall/apoe/apoe.rar
Its current home is (*I'm sorry*) Freewebs. Therefore, if you honestly don't want to put up with the horrible download speed you can try emailing me and you may have a chance of getting it faster. The good news on web hosts: This free stuff should help me to get an accepted site on a particular web host that I've had my eyes on.
Please don't complain about my use of WinRAR. I don't know why WinZip became the most used in the first place, since Rar is better every time.

Anyway, to the program. Everything you need is in the program folder. Run APOE.exe. Not the other thing.
Required DLLs should be included, and you obviously also should have Tokamak.

This is in no way final - simply my promised "quicky" (my definition of "quick" is not very quick, you may have learned) to make sure I'm doing everything right. Basically, those who want a simple (currently b3d-only) rigid body editor for Tokamak have now got one. Everything else is on an "It's done when it's done" schedule, but will be done.
I have not yet bothered to add saving/loading (a good file format will open up the program to err... everything) - that's next on my agenda after responding to bug reports and such from you guys.

This program is not fully tested, so don't work on something for an hour (when suddenly out of the blue the program crashes). What I ask is that you please do simple things (whatever you want, really) and just inform me as to any errors you encounter. A basic testing program is included, to which you can throw in your exported apoe source code and see if everything works. There is one error I am aware of and you needn't tell me about is that the camera messes up when the program loses focus. Also, to me, it feels quite funny to use (as if it's going to crash any second and I'll spend an hour fixing it). I'm assuming that that is just from being so used to it crashing previously, and I hope that it seems nice and sturdy to you. It passed the random clicking test going for a few eons, so it should work :)

Um... To quote my release notes now because I doubt most people will look in there:
You can place geometries (including convex hulls) on objects by selecting faces on a mesh, playing with the geometry settings window, and hitting enter. Editing tools for more complex objects are on hold.
Regarding inertia tensors... To be honest, I didn't and still mostly don't understand them. I realized that the function for them lacks position arguments, so they are obviously just mesh width, height, and depth. I think. For that reason, I removed the ability to simply set a geometry to be the object's inertia tensor and have it as an automated thing based on mesh width height and depth. Please email me if you want any of that changed, because I really have no clue what I am doing with it.

Object auto resizing based on rotation is being built and will be in soon - it's actually quite easy, thanks to Blitz :)
Also being done is adding the mesh for the physics object to the export...

You may notice that the program's appearance has changed and ability to do full scenes has disappeared. This was completely for the better, and the full scene thing will come back in at a later date as a sub-section (rather than the main section).

This hasn't been run by myself today for very long. (I was a bit anxious about releasing my first big compiled program to the public, so I felt it best to do it quickly). My memory tells me that it worked right yesterday and I changed nothing because I was too busy playing games.

If you have read this far... Wow! You're good at reading boring information :)

There.

Now please for the love of god don't make it crash.

PS: Even if it's terrible, the main goal of this program has been accomplished: I can use Blitz!

Screenie:

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#2]
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I LOVE YOU PICKLESWORTH!!!!! I'VE BEEN FOAMING AT MOUTH WAITING FOR THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RGR(Posted 2005) [#3]
Ermm - sorry if I spoil - don't know how I landed here in "Gays Only" ...
hmmm - it looks like Blitz Forum ... or did I misunderstand something?

Downloading since 18 Min. and 78% already... :-)

Later... time is so relative ... yesterday I downloaded 8 GB !!! with Azureus (a .torrent fileshare client for those who do not know) in 4:50 hours :-P

Later again... Starting ... "Userlib not found" when I click on Menu "File" or anywhere else

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#4]
Oh, I remember that one...
Grrr...

Oh well, works until then so that's good!

I think the problem was that I foolishly put BlitzSys in system32, so my compilation still worked on my computer without the dll present.
Luckily for those (err... 2) who have it, it's only 6k.
http://www.freewebs.com/dmccall/apoe/ShouldFix.rar
Just extract it into the main program directory

RGR(Posted 2005) [#5]
glBlitz.dll ??? wmvcore.dll ??? Are referenced in apoe.exe but not here - maybe the reason?

wmvcore is in Windows\system32\ ... so glBlitz.dll?

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#6]
GlBlitz?! Where did that come from...

Thanks RaGR.

Found GlBlitz... Tell me if it works.
http://www.freewebs.com/dmccall/apoe/ShouldFix.rar
Hey, that's where the distance function came from!

Oh, by the way, there's a mesh in the Testing folder (same boring one I use for *every single* screenshot).

OT: Blast! f2o.org free account applications aren't accepted on weekends :( I'm probably only about an hour late too.

Update. No need really to bump. Fixed a small bug with the movement pegs. Re-uploading now.

RGR(Posted 2005) [#7]
Yes - no crash anymore :-) Thanks
Fighter loaded...
Will check it deeper later ;-) it's nearly 5:00 in the morning here - time to go to bed... :-O *yawns

danjo(Posted 2005) [#8]
wont allow me to DL.. :/ can anybody host this please?

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#9]
Here's an alternative. Need to click a link on that page, but it should work better...
http://dillpickle79.250free.com/apoe/

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#10]
OK its working, are there any tutorials for rag dolls, or a list of things that this is used for?

e.g.
convex hulls
rag dolls
etc.

thank you Mr Picklesworth!

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#11]
Convex hulls are simple:
In mesh selection mode, select an area just like you would for a box, try to select lots of faces because the convex hull program can be a bit picky, click the "Geometry Shape" combo-box, choose Convex Hull, and press Enter. Don't click madly all over the place because I bet one of the two programs that pops up there will hate that. Voila! On export, your .bin file (for the Convex Hull) should be put in the same folder as your .bb file, where you can do whatever. A very simple loader for the .bin files to Tokamak is also included in the .bb file. If you want the convex hull without exporting, it is one of those Number.bin files in the program directory\CHullData.
Convex hull creation has probably never been easier.

Will be tutorials for joints, when they're in. Not long now for those - they go by the same system basically as Geometries, just in a different program mode. First, however, I must make what I have a bit more open-ended.
Not false advertising, just my promised light early release :)

PS: Sorry! Did a pretty bad job packing this... Had a useless exe in there! File size is now 1.3 mb on both hosts.

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#12]
Heh, sorry Slenkar... Found why you needed help with Convex Hulls. Along with that update I had discreetly sped up the Convex Hull generator... Apparently, what I did only worked on my computer.
http://www.freewebs.com/dmccall/APOE/Fix(Eeek).rar
And there's a new link on the 250free page too.

Truly sorry for the inconvenience :(

Oh, if anyone gets slowdown with selecting a bunch of faces, please tell me. That potential problem is fixable

CHull generator is being unstable all of a sudden for some reason... Fixing.

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#13]
thank you,
this is quite useful,

RiverRatt(Posted 2005) [#14]
Mr Picklesworth, Is this still up for download? I tried but page could not be found.

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#15]
Not on Freewebs.
Much better host now: http://crumbsoftware.f2o.org/products/apoe/index.html

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#16]
Where did the "O" in "APOE" come from?

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#17]

glBlitz.dll ??? wmvcore.dll ??? Are referenced in apoe.exe but not here - maybe the reason?

it'l come from hmi compiling with an unclean Userlibs folder. :) That doesnt mean that its required to run.

Thats why i like to strip my Userlibs fodler on creating a release EXE. :)

RiverRatt(Posted 2005) [#18]
Thank you Mr. Picklesworth. Looks like a very handy tool.

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#19]
The O came when it was oriented towards single objects.
It seems to be changing to multiple objects, so I may some day change the name to APE, which is a much more pronounceable and interesting name.

I think capsules are a bit buggared right now... so don't trust them :D
They will be fixed with the automatic scaling function for rotated geometries.