How to get font name?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/How to get font name?

big10p(Posted 2005) [#1]
Using Blitz3D, does anybody know a way to get a list of all the names of installed fonts? Is there a DLL or something knocking around to do this?

I thought about just parsing all the .ttf files in the fonts directory to get the names, but this appears to be more difficult than I hoped. I did find an article on the web explaning how to do it in C++ but I'd like to know if there's a simpler way first, before getting bogged down trying to figure that out. :)

Thanks in advamce.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#2]
take a look for info on using the EnumFonts API call

big10p(Posted 2005) [#3]
Thanks, but I know nothing about the windows API. :)

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#4]
OK I have a stupid idea... You could just open the fonts folder in Windows and list them (I suppose you could count them as well but I have no idea how to do that without a for/next loop) then do what you will with them... How about using BLITZui or one of the others... BCF???

Rook

Dazman(Posted 2005) [#5]
Someone recently had the same question over on BlitzCoder:

http://www.blitzcoder.com/cgi-bin/ubb-cgi/postdisplay.cgi?forum=Forum6&topic=001733

I havn't tried the solution given but I think it just parses the fonts directory, as you suggested.

BlackJumper(Posted 2005) [#6]
@big10p:

I have posted a bit of extra info to your 'bug' report - not particularly helpful for your predicament, but it should explain what is going on.

One possible solution to this would be to load a standard version of the font and then perform your own italic shearing and emboldening in your Blitz app. [I tried messing about with padding the string with spaces, but it looks like the em-space thing is the problem - a (c) character gets clipped anyway]

big10p(Posted 2005) [#7]
Rook: If only it were that easy. :) The TTF file names are not necessarily the name of the actual font - that information is embedded in the TTF, itself.

Dazman: Thanks for the heads up! :) It does, at least, seem to be a partial solution - it can't get 'extended' names, though, so "Ransom Bold" and "Ransom Italic" both come back as just "Ransom". Maybe I can improve on this, but if not, it'll be fine as it is.

BlackJumper: Cheers. I'll go take a look in bug reports. ;)

DJWoodgate(Posted 2005) [#8]
Actually there is something in the file section of the archives here that is supposed to get the actual font names. http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=893
Have not tried it myself though.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#9]
Wooo, thanks DJW. ;)

I didn't even think to look in the achives, for some strange reason. :/