Anyone near Tampa, Florida?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Anyone near Tampa, Florida?

karmacomposer(Posted 2005) [#1]
Is there anyone in or near Tampa, Florida that is a decently proficient Blitz 3D coder? I would like to team up with someone and finish my world building app.

To be honest, all the world builders (I won't name names to be kind) I have tried (and purchased half of them) to use are too darn slow. They get incredibly bogged down and the FPS becomes terrible (like around 5FPS). I am not talking about cartography shop, which I find works great for creating objects - but not worlds. I call a level a "world".

I created a large test terrain (on the same computer as the above bogged down world creators) and filled it with many objects (houses, trees, grass, plants, etc) and the FPS never even approached 60FPS - so why was mine so much faster? The movement system was that of mouselook and the arrow keys. It was fluid and smooth.

Anyway, so I need someone who is more proficient than I to help me get this testbed idea into a fully functional app. and then possibly even create some nice games after. I already have an artist and all sound and music is covered.

Anyone interested?

Mike Felker

RGR(Posted 2005) [#2]
and the FPS never even approached 60FPS - so why was mine so much faster?

Maybe you made something wrong?
Maybe your perceptivity has been playing tricks on you?
Maybe you're the god the devout imagine in a heaven far away?

Release it if its so much better than anything else!

Or is it just a
testbed idea
and there is not even a minimal
functional app
at all?

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2005) [#3]
What is the difference between your program and other landscape editors such as CLE, FLE, or even ALE.
There used to be something called MapEdit, but the creator/company took it off the market.
They too, while creating a level allowed placement of buildings in the level

DH(Posted 2005) [#4]
What RaGR is trying to say (in his emotionally driven mannor) is there is much more going on behind the scene in an editor then one would imagine at first glance..

Having built quite a few level/map/world builders for my own personal projects I can tell you that the difference between a good level builder and a mediocre is the features/functionality.

A good example of this is comparing 3DS max to 3DCanvas. Max is feature packed, you can do anything with it, anything, where you are limited with 3D canvas to what it was designed for (and a few extra features added in by requests). 3D canvas runs faster at higher poly/object count then 3DS max and responds quicker. But I'd choose max over 3DCanvas any day just because of the abilitys it has to do things, even if I have to wait a bit for something to be done.

karmacomposer(Posted 2005) [#5]
I understand, however:

CLE, ALE and Half a dozen other terrain and world builders CHOKE when you add even a TINY amount of stuff to a world.

I am running a 3ghz 64bit amd athalon with 1GB of ram and a really good radeon video card.

I used to build computers for a living and have been programming in Blitz and Dark Basic and several others since they were created. Most old timers know me.

I loaded in 60 objects - including houses, trees, etc. and I did some terrain building. In my opinion, the only thing missing was the code to save it all to a text file for later loading, which I am doing next.

You might want to be a bit nicer RaGR before you go judging people. It is anti-productive and simply shows off how immature you can be.

Amanda, CLE and FLE are terrain builders. Ale is a large scale terrain builder. The application I am building is called GECKO and is going to allow you to create a game from the ground up. It will include terrain building and texturing, world building and much more. My main goal is to create a program that can RUN and not get so bogged down.

Oh, and by the way RaGR, I believe one of the reasons these programs are getting bogged down is because they are attempting to use GUI programs, written in Blitz, and are focussing FAR too much on how pretty the program is. Now, I am a visual studio programmer as well and I like to make a nice visually appealing app as much as the next person - but not at the expense of frame rate!!!

So, again I ask, would anyone in the tampabay or surrounding areas like to team up. It's a simple question and need not be answered by anyone who is simply looking to rag on something that they have not even tested themselves yet.

I look forward to anyone's valid replies.

Mike

karmacomposer(Posted 2005) [#6]
For a detailed description of GECKO, see my work log