odd shadow theory

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/odd shadow theory

Kalisme(Posted 2005) [#1]
I've wanted to test this theory but I've been busy alot lately... (school mainly, plus other projects) but I was wondering if anyone has tryed this, or can at least tell me if they think it would work...

I've been trying to create a shadow system for use in my games, I know the simple answer would be to purchase Swifts Shadow System, but I'm looking for something a bit differant and I sorta want to program a shadow engine myself... I guess it would make me feel good or something... I dunno...

oh well... here is my silly theory:
The only problem with Swifts Shadow system is that the shadows don't scale realistically... (maybe it's not even a problem for most games) but I've been trying to figure out ways of scaling a shadow realistically (meaning light positioning plays a part in the size of the shadow scattered on the wall)... so what I was going to do is mix my current shadow engine knowlidge (not quite Swifts engine, a bit more primative, esspecially with intersection) with the "Textured Spotlight by fredborg" code in the archives, and instead of using orthagraphic, use perspective... the only problem is matching the scaleing factor with the perspective image to make the shadow look correct...

Oh.. and with this engine, I presume it would really be an inside shadow engine...

so... I don't know if ANY of that made sense to anyone else... if it doesn't... sorry... but if it did:
would it work? have you seen this tryed before? can you help? does this sound like a bad idea?

please help

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#2]
you want the shadow to get bigger as the light source gets closer, I take it,

I dont think the scaling has to be realistic most people wont notice, the fact that the scaling happens will be enough to impress most people

I think its just trial and error until it looks right

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#3]
Didn't fredborg try this already with this:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1010

Well if you can do this, now that would be great.