No access to low-level animation data

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/No access to low-level animation data

Rad Gravity(Posted 2005) [#1]
One thing that is lacking in blitz3d as a whole is access to certain low-level information. Specifically, animation/mesh data for animated models. The NGC collisions library could be made so much better with this information, I mean, even linepick doesn't work with animated meshes. I can't see why it's such a big secret.. Mr Sibly, can you get this information into the public domain?

Ricky Smith(Posted 2005) [#2]
I doubt this is going to happen. The way around it is to write your own custom .b3d loader that will store the information required in a memory bank or a type. You will then have to keep track of bone and vertex positions yourself - no easy task though especially if the model has weighted vertices !

Rad Gravity(Posted 2005) [#3]
That's true but it seems a bit of a mission considering the information is there already.. I would just like to know why it isn't available really.

Tom(Posted 2005) [#4]
From what I've learned from GL programming, for skinned meshes at least, it might involve multiplying vert data by 'x' amount of parent bone matrices to get a world position, and do that every frame for every vert in a mesh. That's a LOT of math per mesh. It should be easier to implement with MD2s though, as they're just vert deformation data, and that could be looked up from ram.

Non key frames (tweened/interpolated frames) would need a little extra math.

Maybe hardware shaders/DX9 can do skinned meshes quickly but I doubt DX7 can.

Anyone know any better?