Collisions again

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Collisions again

cash(Posted 2005) [#1]
I decided to start work on another Resident Evil Style Game as I am getting a bit fed up with the FPS at the moment.

I have a fairly decent interior model I created and an animated player. All camerapositions are mapped and they change nicely.

The problem is the dreaded player cutting into walls especially while animating.

Suppose for example I go from standing to aiming a rifle, the back foot moves out and disappears into the wall behind. I rotate the man around and the rifle cuts straight through the wall.

I cant cnage the entity order as other things go horribly wrong in the model. I cant change the entityradius any more
as this affects going up and down stairs and moving between areas in the level.

I assume I am totally without options....just thought someone may have some useful ideas..

Defoc8(Posted 2005) [#2]
use the coldet wrapper...
- this will give you far greater control over how you
want your entities to react when a collision occurs,
Blitz collisions are nice & simple + the reaction is part
of the collision logic...this is great for simple games,
though its perhaps too generic for your purposes.

anyway..good luck..

cash(Posted 2005) [#3]
I had a look at the Nuclear Glory engine and it looked pretty good, but maybe too many features (if thats possible)

How do you use the Coldet Wrapper. Do I need to compile it or is there a precompiled version for Blitz...

I am getting on pretty well with Blitz now but messing around compiling C++ would be a new learning cure....

A quick step by step guide would be nice if anyone has the time..

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#4]
how about positioning a tiny, invisible entity/pivot parented to the back foot location or the tip of the gun barrel location which could make your character slide his foot out, or turn his gun slightly to avoid the wall (?)

cash(Posted 2005) [#5]
I went with the Nuclear Glory Engine in the end. The latest version is about £13. Days of programming problems were fixed within a few hours of purchasing this. Its great .....