introscreens

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/introscreens

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#1]
OK I am using a sprite to fade in and out to create an intro screen effect... I load the screen as a texture and then adjust the entityalpha of the sprite... Simple sample code:
The code is uncommented but is really simple to understand...

My problem is this:
The screen looks slightly "fuzzy" and not sharp... I want to do better... HOW???

GfK(Posted 2005) [#2]
The screen looks slightly "fuzzy" and not sharp... I want to do better... HOW???
Use a bigger image.

Baystep Productions(Posted 2005) [#3]
Yup, I used that for Death Island.
Use the actual screen size, but play around with the scale.
Thtas probably your problem. What's the scale-to-pixel rate though for distances? Objects farther seem smaller, but by how much?

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#4]
I have one 1024X758 and it still looks fuzzy... How big? OK another stupid question... do I scale the sprite before I apply texture or does that make a difference?

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#5]

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#6]
i don't think it makes any difference. You need some code to get the scales so that there is no interpolation - one image pixel maps to one screen pixel- search this site for 'pixies' - a bit of code by Boyd that does just this.

Defoc8(Posted 2005) [#7]
I think its a texture [filtering] quality issue - and given this is set
in directx - there is perhaps only one solution..
Using the new commands + creating a small dx7 based dll,
you might be able to set the texture quality - but this
is assuming mark doesnt reset it at render time...+its
quite an ugly cludge...hmmm..i may try this myself :]

>>things tried in the past..
..large textures, cleartexturefilters(),
ortho projection - jst incase some weird perspective opp
may have been the source of the trouble..nothing works..

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#8]
I tried to draw the image to the screen and place the sprite in front of the camera and GRADUALLY decrease its alpha to look like a fadein... couldn't see anything... Perhaps I coded it wrong.

Defoc8(Posted 2005) [#9]
mind that cameras have a near/far clip zone..if you placed
your sprite outside this area you wouldnt have seen anything.. this is usually set to 1.0 nearclip, 100 or more
for farclip...

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#10]
In the code archives there is code about positioning 3D sprites pixel perfect in 2D. On top of that you want to ClearTextureFilters

http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=456
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=379
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=321

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#11]
And look at the optional flags used when loading textures - think you need to set one of them for alpha blending.

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#12]
Flaken... if you mena in my game... that was my bad... 0,0,0 PNG issue... fixed it better now!

Rob... lotta research there... I may have to use a psrite lib. I tried brushing a cube but it still looked bad.

Maybe it is because the sprite is sooooooooo close to the camera and not scaled up instead? I will learn and try again!

RZ