Director Xtra

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Director Xtra

dena(Posted 2005) [#1]
Has anyone embeded blitz3d content into Macromedia Director?
Any ideas about how?

Dena

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#2]
It is unlikely that you can do it. Blitz3D can't create DLLs or similar.

dena(Posted 2005) [#3]
Not sure I fully understand..
the reason it won't work is that Blitz cannot create a DLL?
I need to explain this to someone else, and I don't quite get it. HELP

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#4]
One guy made something that allowes to embed Blitz3D Apps in a Browserwindow (guess as a ActiveX Control), so I think it would be possible in Director too. But I don't know Director, so I can't promise anything.

What you surely can do, using userlib calls is hook the Blitz Window to any other window. It's also possible to hide the windows borders and titlebar. So it should be possible in a more or less elegant way to use it in Director.

Barliesque(Posted 2005) [#5]
It's probably possible to call any EXE from a Director project. You could probably also pass some information along via the command line. However, once the Blitz-made EXE is running, it wouldn't be possible for any direct communication between the Director project and Blitz application. On the other hand, you could always write data to a data file to exchange information. Don't know what you're trying to do though---this might not be fast enough for your needs--or maybe you don't need 2-way communication at all...?

Also, this method means that the Blitz-made EXE would not be embedded, but rather a secondary file. It is possible, using a file packer like MoleBox, to embed the Blitz EXE within a Director-made EXE.

saoudi(Posted 2005) [#6]
I installed OSA Kit Demo http://www.osakit.com, and was able to play blitz3d content into Macromedia Director.

I've inserted the OSAKit2.OSA_kit ActiveX control, and when the property box poped up I pasted the game link I wanted to test under FileToDownload. I used "http://www.osakit.com/downloads/Deluxanoid.ply" without the quotes of course

it seemed to work...

Two things though, you cant use lingo to
1 - set FileToDownload of the sprite.
2 - communicate with the blitz3d loaded in your director projector.

I hope future OSA Kit addresses these ActiveX issues.