Typing Games

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Typing Games

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#1]
I've been working on a typing game in the theme of warfare for a school project, and it's coming along really nicely. I've run into many problems, though.

Wasn't there a typing game in the BlitzCoder showcase? Does anyone know where it is?

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#2]
Super Mario Type? (guessing)

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#3]
I think it was a simple boring gray game.

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#4]
A lot of the ones I used to use when I was a teacher were simple boring grey games... Type Invaders... Oy!

Then there was Super Mario Typing... More interesting... Kids actually learned where the letters were on the keyboard and it facilitated touch typing... Letters, numbers and words... Gameplay was too simple though and the kids wanted more...

Do it.. Make it happen...

RZ

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#5]
I just need to know simple functions:

Like how to calculate WPM - I've thought it over - it seems extremely complicate. And also how to figure out if the person has pressed the correct letter - hard stuff like that...

Regular K(Posted 2005) [#6]
I remember playing an old Mario game for old old Macs where you had to type the right letter to jump over a rock or to jump on a bob-omb, I was rather good at it :p

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#7]
Who rocks at typing letters? MrSAK rocks at typing letters. Who rocks at typing letters? You got that right. :P

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#8]
MrSAK that was Mario Typing that I was describing!!!

obviosly you have to get starttime before you start the loop and calculate how long it has been since the last keypress... WPM is only calculated in words but you can count keys per minute and then divide by 5.5 for an "average" WPM speed even if the object is only to count keys...

The correct letter... Hmmm Use types... If there are a lot of letters on th screen (ala Type Invaders) then just have the missle fire at the sprite assigned to that letter et al...

Simple

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#9]
But how do I test if they've pressed the right button on their keyboard? Do I have to define a constant for each key?

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#10]
Asteroid Falling

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#11]
That helped a whole lot!

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#12]
OOIE OOIE typing of the dead 2 would rule! Or typing of the blitz...or something...

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#13]
You amke a simple 3d fps shooter with zombies and EACH zombie has a letter or word on his chest... the guy follows a preset path at a preset speed... you type that letter to shoot that zombie... slow and simple at first... then bloody mayhem later!