Making Models!

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Making Models!

Jono(Posted 2005) [#1]
Wha 3D modeling software can 'you' recommened me for making models for video games, and what do 'you' think is the best software for making textures?

Please don't let this turn into an argument, please. I'd like to know what you in your personal opinion is the best software.

Thank you all in advance.

Matty(Posted 2005) [#2]
I use Milkshape 3d ($20? USD) for making models, Lithunwrap (free) for creating the UV map, Ultimate Paint (an old free version) for textures and Irfanview (free) for a few other graphic related things.

As you can probably tell - I haven't spent a great deal on this stuff which is fine for me - I make games as a hobby not as a commercial venture so my own poor graphics don't bother me too much.

Oh..I also use (g)iles for lightmapping which is also reasonably cheap.

Edit: After becoming sick of making extremely poor graphics I purchased creature creator and made much improved character models (still very poor though) which is quite expensive.

Jono(Posted 2005) [#3]
If you have the time and patience I wouldn't mind having a go at making some low polygon count 3D models for you. I'm better at modelling than I am at making textures mind.

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#4]
I use Milkshape for animated characters:
http://www.milkshape3d.com
and Metasequioa for static models:
http://www21.ocn.ne.jp/~mizno/main_e.html
I'm crap at textures but I usually muddle through using Paint Shop Pro (-now learning 'layers' to blend textures).

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#5]
Isn't this thread in the beginners area as well???

The Vestige Team(Posted 2005) [#6]
Hi

I have used both "3d Studio Max" and "Alias Maya"

For game content, there basicaly the same, you create geometry and apply a file texture.

For advanced features, Pre-Rendered content and Visual Effects I think Maya is a far better program.

For painting textures, I think everyone would agree that "Adobe Photoshop" Is hands down the best 2d paint software by far.

These all cost quite a lot of money, for most people there best choice is probibly something like "blender", its free and quite good.

If you want to persue visual arts as a carear it would pay to use the Maya PLE, and develop your skills there before puchasing the full version ($1999 US).

NOTE: It is very hard to get your assets from Maya to Blitz without a custom built plugin or third party software, .3ds is a 3dsMax format and is supported by the Blitz engine.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#7]
There are several Editors for free: older versions of Truespace, Blender, Deled, Anim8or, Doga, etc. etc. etc.

Check out www.3dlinks.com